Author Topic: Using a Generator to power a Lynx Express?  (Read 1798 times)

Offline TMB

Using a Generator to power a Lynx Express?
« on: September 26, 2011, »
Has anyone had any experience with powering a Lynx Express off of a mobile generator?  I'm thinking of using an Express to control the lights on a Christmas float.

Thanks,

TMB

Offline RJ

• Administrator
Re: Using a Generator to power a Lynx Express?
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2011, »
Depends on the Generator heavily. I have had users do it but some generators it will not work on.

RJ
Innovation beats imitation - and it's more satisfying

Offline tbone321

« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2011, »
The problem with generators is that they are not always consistant in their output frequency and these controller systems are not all that tolerant of frequency shift.  Many of the higher output and even small low cost units depend on generator RPM to set the frequency so if the governor is not set to the correct RPM or the engine does not have enough HP to carry the load, the frequency of the gen will shift off of 60 HZ and possibly enough to confuse the controllers.  The one thing that I would suggest is to not vary the load on the generator to much (smaller show or use LED's) or you will get some frequency shift.  One thing that would probably work if your generator is having a hard time would be to use a high quality high output UPS along with that generator.  These UPS's have their own frequency control and will correct for the generator if it is off or varying to much due to changing load, lack of HP,  or a bad governor.
If at first you don't succeed,
your not cut out for sky diving

Offline jstevens

• Professional Net Lurker
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2011, »
Many generators put out a square wave rather than a sine wave unless it's close to full load.  This square wave can generate harmonics that will mess with the controllers.  Since the anticipated use for many generators is to provide backup power for a household in case of extended commercial power failure, the manufacturers assume you're running refrigerators and the such.

Many of the Honda generators are guaranteed to do a sine wave output, and seem to do fairly well for this type of purpose.  I wish mine was a Honda because of this.

No matter what you do, please put surge suppression between the generator and your controllers.  The better surge suppressors will also help with that sine wave issue as well.

Offline Steve Gase

• WinterLightShow in Georgetown, TX
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2011, »
can you have a generator charge a 12v battery and run the show off that 12v battery, or even use an inverter to get back to 110v?
I'm not an EE (obviously :) ) but I wonder if using a battery could provide some degree of "buffering".
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login  |  110K channels, 50K lights  |  Nutcracker, Falcon, DLA, HolidayCoro

Offline tbone321

« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2011, »
The poblem there is that the Express is an AC controller and doesn't run on 12VDC.  You could use an inverter but many of them, like some low cost generators (using that same circuit) create a square wave output which screws up the zero crossing circuit that the controller depends on to function properly.  Actually, the dimming circuit itself depends on that sign wave to dim the lights properly and a square wave really just doesn't cut it.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2011, by tbone321 »
If at first you don't succeed,
your not cut out for sky diving

Offline RJ

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2011, »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Depends on the Generator heavily. I have had users do it but some generators it will not work on.

RJ

Just try it on your generator I know it works on mine and a few others have also done it. I have heard of a few that it did not work on their generator.

RJ
Innovation beats imitation - and it's more satisfying

Offline TMB

« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2011, »
Thanks for all the great suggestions!  I'll try it out on a couple of generators, with and without line conditioners, maybe a UPS, and let you know!

TMB