Author Topic: LE V4 solution?  (Read 1434 times)

Offline DonM

LE V4 solution?
« on: October 19, 2011, »
So I have 2 LE from back when the V4 LE were having problems. What was determined to be the final fix? New 5v and 3.3 v regs? Or the cut the trace and add the jumpers fix? or both?
I ordered new 3.3 and 5v regs (LD1117v33c and L7805abv). added them to the 1st board. repaired the cut trace and removed the jumpers. only getting the 5v light. so I thought best to ask before proceeding as I am currently assembling the 2nd LE and if I need to cut a trace it would be easier at this point than after assembled.

Any help would be great..

Thanks,
Don.
Don

Offline lonewolf41

• Coop Manager
Re: LE V4 solution?
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2011, »
I think either one will work.  New/different 3.3V regulator rated for low temperatures fixed my issue.  I did not cut any traces.  Original post is here: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

and other info is here: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

HIH,
-Keith

Offline DonM

« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2011, »
Thanks,
I was part of that post and after the mods and a new 5v reg I still had issues but could get it going by using the unplug/plug in quickly method. I only used it briefly then and figured I would wait for a solid solution but then I fell off the radar for a bit. Now I picked it back up, read all the posts and thought the final solution was the 2 new regs but after installing them I still only get the 5v led.

I will put the second together with the new regs and see if it works. If so maybe I just missed something while repairing the first.

Thanks
Don.
Don

Offline DonM

« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2011, »
Keith,
Did you do the mod or just new reg?

In the original post there were 2 mods. 1 was a jumper, cut trace and resistor the other was a jumper and cut trace.

I originally tried the cut trace, resistor and jumper(page 3). That would allow me to "Jump Start" the unit and all was good until I unplugged it.
I tried again the other day, after 2 years in storage, and was able to get it to come on 1 time. then i tried the cut trace and jumper mod (page 6) and still no luck,

Don

Offline memphislights

« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2011, »
I upgraded the 3.3v regulators, but that did not work for me.  I ended up having to use 2x C9s in the case to keep the regulators warm when temps got below about 37f.

It's not about more, it's about enough.

Offline lonewolf41

• Coop Manager
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2011, »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Keith,
Did you do the mod or just new reg?

In the original post there were 2 mods. 1 was a jumper, cut trace and resistor the other was a jumper and cut trace.

I originally tried the cut trace, resistor and jumper(page 3). That would allow me to "Jump Start" the unit and all was good until I unplugged it.
I tried again the other day, after 2 years in storage, and was able to get it to come on 1 time. then i tried the cut trace and jumper mod (page 6) and still no luck,

I just replaced the regulator.  I did not do any cutting of traces or add any resistors...just replaced the regulator with one that RJ sent me.  I think at one point he had posted that anyone that needed one from that coop to PM him.  That's how I got mine.  Has worked great ever since.  My understanding was that the original regulator was only rated to 0 degrees C (32 degrees F).  The new one is good to -40 degrees C I believe.

HIH,
-Keith

Offline DonM

« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2011, »
Thanks.
I will build the second one with the new regs and and see how it goes.

Don.
Don