Author Topic: Holiday Coro RGB  (Read 4808 times)

Offline taybrynn

• RockinChristmas
Re: Holiday Coro RGB
« Reply #15 on: January 02, 2012, »
Yes, Smart String Controllers (SSC) are pixelnet controllers for the smart strings. 
Scott - Castle Rock, Colorado   [ 2 homes, 100% RGB in 2016; since 2008; over 32k channels of E1.31 ]
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline deanathpc

• Brooks Family Lights
« Reply #16 on: January 03, 2012, »
That's what I thought...  So I just have to wait for a COOP now to get some of that hardware to play around with it....
-------------------
Dean
Check out our web site: 

2011 Light Count: 8,700

[img width= height=]http://www.vixenlights.com/sig/sig_h.php/160.gif[/img]

Offline Steve Gase

• WinterLightShow in Georgetown, TX
« Reply #17 on: January 03, 2012, »
you don't need to wait for coops.

you could send RJ a PM to buy a SSC, an Active Hub, and a USB dongle.  check around and maybe someone could also supply you with a few pixels to attach to the SSC to verify your completed setup. 

You might be able to get each cheaper in a coop later (USB dongles are never in coops, btw) but you don't need to wait for them.  You may want to get more of each later -- use the coops at that time for units 2+.  In the meantime you don't have to wait to get started.
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login  |  110K channels, 50K lights  |  Nutcracker, Falcon, DLA, HolidayCoro

Offline deanathpc

• Brooks Family Lights
« Reply #18 on: January 03, 2012, »
Well he has a thread on board availability...  I'll have to go find that first then go from there...  Good point though Steve.  Mouser and I seem to be becoming one now...  esp. with their inflated shipping costs....
-------------------
Dean
Check out our web site: 

Offline Steve Gase

• WinterLightShow in Georgetown, TX
« Reply #19 on: January 03, 2012, »
you can make the shipping costs hurt less by buying more. :)

try some more solder, some flux... maybe some tools. :)

you might also look through the parts list for the items you PLAN to build at some time, and order some replacement parts -- like fuses.  having them at the ready will come in handy later.  extras will NOT be provided in the coops, so adding them with another mouser order will save you trouble later.
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login  |  110K channels, 50K lights  |  Nutcracker, Falcon, DLA, HolidayCoro

Offline tbone321

« Reply #20 on: January 03, 2012, »
I wouldn't be is such a big rush to get this stuff.  the new year has just started and you have plenty of time.  As for the dongle, I would wait for the upcoming EtherDongle coop that RJ announced should start in a week or two.  The Etherdongle is superior to the USB dongle in every way and the cost difference is next to nothing.  There will be upcoming SmartString hardware coops that not only save money, but make the entire process easier with a complete kit. 
If at first you don't succeed,
your not cut out for sky diving

Offline deanathpc

• Brooks Family Lights
« Reply #21 on: January 03, 2012, »
I already have a Lynx and Ether dongle now.  And a PICKIT3 so I can reprogram both at will..  So that will save me some money.. :)  Although I'll be getting into the next Etherdongle when it comes around just to have spares.. :)  Never can have enough! lol
-------------------
Dean
Check out our web site: