Author Topic: SubPanels  (Read 814 times)

Offline IndianaChristmas

• Patron Member
SubPanels
« on: March 06, 2010, »
Is there a time when the need to install a subpanel becomes obvious? (i.e. number of lights etc as I don't think channels would be a good estimate)  Hopefully I know it before this:  <md..

Offline Kwajtony

Re: SubPanels
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2010, »
People who know more about this than me probably can point you in the right directions, but as I understand it there is two times you would install a sub-panel, once to better distribute power to your light load or two when you upgrade your service the sub-panel could distribute the additional capability. 

R,
Tony "C"
R,
Tony "C"

Offline lineman

• Coop Manager
Re: SubPanels
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2010, »
  Most commmon house main panels are either 150 amp or 200 amp. It's  unlikely you will ever pull that many amps even if you had everything on. the only reason for a sub panel is if you don,t have any breaker space in the main panel. If you install a sub panel you will need to know how many amps your house does pull ( average ) this will determine how many amps the sub panel can pull. ( REMEMBER TO STAY WITHIN 80 % border ) 

Hope this helps

Jeff
Jeff