Author Topic: ss hub  (Read 3222 times)

Offline sirloinofbeef001

• Reach for the stars
ss hub
« on: June 28, 2013, »
I'm building my smart string hub and I wondering what the 12v option kit is... The pic on wiki shows 2 triacs w/heatsinks and other optional spots as well... Are they needed for this to work?
Its the most wonderful time of the year.

Offline Rainlover

• Coop Admin
Re: ss hub
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2013, »
The 12v option is for using a 12v power supply instead of a computer power supply. If will work perfectly with just the computer power supply.

John
Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain!

Offline sirloinofbeef001

• Reach for the stars
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2013, »
Thanks John... I kinda thought so but I wasn't sure...

Offline Rogelio

« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2013, »
yes a computer power supply also has 5 volt and 3.3 volt which some of the onboard components require.  If using a 12 power supply, you need to add those voltage regulators to the board, thus the "12 volt option".

Offline sirloinofbeef001

• Reach for the stars
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2013, »
I am using a computer power supply...

Offline rm357

ss hub
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2013, »
You should be good to go.

The kit actually contains a 5v voltage regulator, 3.3v voltage regulator, the heat sinks and several capacitors.
Robert
Warner Robins, Georgia, USA

Offline chrisatpsu

• ahhh, yes... my new blink-i-nator 3000!!!
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2013, »
FYI, and for when this comes up in future searches.

remember when you're using the computer power supply, that you still must connect all 3 of the 4pin molex connectors (the connectors that plug into the drives in a computers)

preferably from different branch cables coming out of the power supply.
To rule the entire tri-state area!  What's that? Perry the Platypus!!!

Offline tbone321

« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2013, »
I would say that the 3 of the 4 pin plugs really NEED to come from different branches of the cables coming out of the power supply if at all possible.  Connecting all 3 from the same PS branch serves little purpose.  It might also be good to remember that single rail supplies are also prefered.
If at first you don't succeed,
your not cut out for sky diving

Offline drlucas

« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2013, »
....and maybe not the appropriate place for me to place this info....but from the last coop, I bought two 12V kits because I wasn't sure what I'd actually need for powering my lights this year. As a result of finally getting to task on understanding what I need, I'm 90% confident I'm going down the ATX power supply route and won't be needing my 12v kits. I'm going to keep them on hand anyways, but if someone really needs a kit I can spare one :)

That said maybe appropriate - nut not 100% in line with the OP but, with my two active hubs I'm still thinking I'm going to get a 850W supply that has at least a 60A rating four the 12V output. The plan for this year will likely be 12smart string megatree and one 8 dumb string animated singing tree. That should leave me a number of ports free in case of any blown fuses this season....of which i'm hoping won't happen because I've done my job keeping water/snow out of the way of the electricity ;-)

OH - and it took me a while to figure out what the heck you meant by different branch of the single supply vs a different branch. First I learn about watts, then volts, then amps, and then rails and now branches. Do you guys (gals) learn this stuff from A+ certification?
-Ryan Lucas-
- Pickering, Ontario, Canada, Eh?! -

Offline jnealand

• Patron Member
« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2013, »
As I understand it you can also take power FROM the 12v option to run to a 4 port passive hub power input.  BUT you must include that power drain as part of the total power use of the PC power supply on the hub.
Jim Nealand
Kennesaw, GA

Offline Rainlover

• Coop Admin
« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2013, »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
As I understand it you can also take power FROM the 12v option to run to a 4 port passive hub power input.  BUT you must include that power drain as part of the total power use of the PC power supply on the hub.
I have done this to power my pixelnet splitter. Works great. All you have to do is solder the fixed terminal block to the active hub and you have 12v out.

John

Offline sirloinofbeef001

• Reach for the stars
« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2013, »
So I should plug the 3 - 4 pins and the other as well ( whatever the other long one is ).? 

Offline Rainlover

• Coop Admin
« Reply #12 on: July 01, 2013, »
So I should plug the 3 - 4 pins and the other as well ( whatever the other long one is ).? 
Yes.

Offline drlucas

« Reply #13 on: July 01, 2013, »
This one took me a while to find on the wiki - but it's a good reference on power for the hubs.

It is down in the library section which is how I missed it before I asked my question about updating the FAQ....  :-[
-Ryan Lucas-
- Pickering, Ontario, Canada, Eh?! -

Offline chrisatpsu

• ahhh, yes... my new blink-i-nator 3000!!!
« Reply #14 on: July 01, 2013, »

If you're powering your hub with an ATX power supply, AND you want to send power out to another device (like the 4 port hubs) then you only need the terminal connection from the 12v option kit (it's the same part as the AC input of the Expresses)
To rule the entire tri-state area!  What's that? Perry the Platypus!!!