Author Topic: ss hub  (Read 3221 times)

Offline sirloinofbeef001

• Reach for the stars
Re: ss hub
« Reply #15 on: July 02, 2013, »
Guys, I never thought it would take me so long to build a ssc.. Who-da-thunk-it... Without my jordi laforge glasses, I couldn't see to wire the things up.... ;D
Its the most wonderful time of the year.

Offline chrisatpsu

• ahhh, yes... my new blink-i-nator 3000!!!
« Reply #16 on: July 02, 2013, »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Guys, I never thought it would take me so long to build a ssc.. Who-da-thunk-it... Without my jordi laforge glasses, I couldn't see to wire the things up.... ;D

uh oh, get another set of eyes on it before you turn it on!
To rule the entire tri-state area!  What's that? Perry the Platypus!!!

Offline sirloinofbeef001

• Reach for the stars
« Reply #17 on: July 04, 2013, »
well here is where I stand. ive flashed every thing and now I am trying to power up the ss and it does nothing.. im using the ss utility, the hub power light is on  but when I try to test it with the utility, nothing happens...I know I did something wrong, but none of the strings work...

Offline keitha43

« Reply #18 on: July 04, 2013, »
First thing I would try is to flash your SSC with the test firmware then when you power up your hub the light string should cycle through colors depending on if your programing pins on the ssc are jumpered or not. If that works your hub is probably working. I am assuming you are trying to set the start channel of the ssc. For that to occur the programing pins must be jumpered and the lights will begin to flash white rapidly when you send the start channel info to it. Power everything down and remove the jumper Of course make sure you have chosen all the correct choices in the SS utility. Another way you might could test is to use the color picker utility. I think it broadcasts on multiple channels. I thing the firmware flash automatically sets the ssc to default at channel 1 start. Also make sure you are using the correct SS Utility version depending on which mod to the SSC you did. I recommend using the v3 mod instructions along with its utility. This is for the original SSC not the newer v4 SSC's which are still in a COOP as this is written just to be clear.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2013, by keitha43 »

Offline sirloinofbeef001

• Reach for the stars
« Reply #19 on: July 04, 2013, »
I used v1 firmware and utility. I'm gonna try v3 and see what happens.

Offline keitha43

« Reply #20 on: July 04, 2013, »
You have to cut a trace and solder a jumper wire and change a resistor to make it a v3 mod as well as using the v3 firmware. Follow this thread. You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline sirloinofbeef001

• Reach for the stars
« Reply #21 on: July 04, 2013, »
I guess my real question is, why doesn't the v1 work? If it does work then I have something wrong...

Offline keitha43

« Reply #22 on: July 04, 2013, »
You would have had an older version of the SS utility and older firmware. Only the v3 modification is supported now. The SS utility for the v3 mod has support for null nodes and grouping the old version didn't. Plus v1 had problems with distance between the SSC and first node. It would cause strange and wrong colors in the pixels. The v3 mod makes it good for about 6 feet between the SSC and first node. You can still test the hub itself using the test firmware. v1 and v3 had test firmwares. v2 didn't.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2013, by keitha43 »

Offline keitha43

« Reply #23 on: July 05, 2013, »
Another thing- I noticed you posted about converting a dmx flashed hub to a pixelnet hub in another thread. Do you have an etherdongle or another usb hub that is flashed with pixelnet firmware? The SSC needs a pixelnet flashed hub or etherdongle for the SS utility to program the start channel.

Offline sirloinofbeef001

• Reach for the stars
« Reply #24 on: July 05, 2013, »
That makes sense.. I have a basic 512 dongle. It Has not been flashed... I have a PCB for a etherdongle just need the bom.   thanks for your help Keith...

Offline keitha43

« Reply #25 on: July 05, 2013, »
I would still do the v3 mod to your SSC's so you can use the latest firmware and utilities and and no color issues and you can use the v3 test firmware to confirm your hub is working until you get a pixelnet dongle of some kind.

Offline sirloinofbeef001

• Reach for the stars
« Reply #26 on: July 05, 2013, »
I'm gonna try and make one from a 6 pin header and a 28 pin socket.....

Offline sirloinofbeef001

• Reach for the stars
« Reply #27 on: July 06, 2013, »
I guess I did one thing right. I put the test firmware on the ssc and my office lit up like the sun.   8)
« Last Edit: July 06, 2013, by sirloinofbeef001 »

Offline keitha43

« Reply #28 on: July 06, 2013, »
It should have cycled colors. I believe if you have the jumper closed it will just be white. The only time the jumper should be closed is if programing the start channel with the SS Utility.

Offline sirloinofbeef001

• Reach for the stars
« Reply #29 on: July 06, 2013, »
I did have the jumper on. So it was all white.. So removing the jumper gives the other colors?