Author Topic: Newbie - I need lights  (Read 3688 times)

Offline UncleBuck

Newbie - I need lights
« on: January 03, 2012, »
I expected more inventory to be discounted at the big box stores this year. Seems due to the economy they didn't bring in as much as last year and the end of the season shelf's where empty. Are there ever coops for lights? I need 150 sets each of clear, green and red mini's.

Thanks

Offline thestig

Re: Newbie - I need lights
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2012, »
are you looking for LED's or Incandescent's?  I do agree that the stores seemed to have less surplus at the end of the season than normal, I was only able to pick up a 100 dollars worth or LED's which i might not be using after all this year.

Offline UncleBuck

« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2012, »
Incandescent. Sorry, I can't afford the LED's.  :(

Offline mms

• Like us on Facebook for special content and year-round updates.
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2012, »
150 SETS of each??  You may be able to find some wholesale places with that kind of volume.  Unfortunately, I don't know of any!
Like us on Facebook for special content and year-round updates: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Voice-over Inquiries:  You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline JonB256

• My website
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2012, »
That is 150 amps of lights (45,000 bulbs). Good luck finding that many.

You don't ever mention where you live, though. I do have some old strands, but nothing new in incandescents.

Offline UncleBuck

« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2012, »
Redmond WA, and I'm ok with old strands.

Offline mike2tall

Newbie - I need lights
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2012, »
I have several boxes of the Target incad. mini lights. I live in Mo and don't know what the freight would be.

I should have close to 90 each of the colors you need. Let me get a count and we can see what we can work out. I bought these thinking I would use them, but instead I have been using LEDs

Offline UncleBuck

« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2012, »
That would be great. Just let me know what you'll need per box $$ and I will see if it fits into my budget. After I know the quantities I can calculate the freight.

Thanks

Offline sirloinofbeef001

• Reach for the stars
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2012, »
You can try here..You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login They have a good quantity    also check here..You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
« Last Edit: January 03, 2012, by sirloinofbeef001 »
Its the most wonderful time of the year.

Offline knguyen916

« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2012, »
I have quite a few myself brand new in box I don't plan on using. Never shipped them before. This is what I have left from my listing on craigslist. As mentioned, i'm slowly getting out and probably doing smaller displays in the future. Sold a bunch so not much left. Would prefer local, but if you want to pay the shipping i don't mind shipping. Asking $1.5 each + shipping.

BTW for locals I live in Lincoln, CA or for shipping purposes..

24 x 70ct yellow lights - You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
===================================
24 x Yellow lights

28 x 100ct white holiday accent (home depot) You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
22 x 100ct white (Lowes) You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
40 x 100ct white holiday living (Lowes) You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
90 x White lights

11 x 100ct multiple color holiday accent (home depot) You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
14 x 100ct multiple color (walgreen) You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
25 x Multiple Color lights

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
That would be great. Just let me know what you'll need per box $$ and I will see if it fits into my budget. After I know the quantities I can calculate the freight.

Thanks

Offline Gary

• Diamond Crescent
« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2012, »
You would be amazed at what kind of response you get if you place an ad looking for free incandescent lights on craigslist. Many people are upgrading to the new LED lights so they're getting rid of their old stuff.

Offline meman

« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2012, »
Agree with Gary for those still willing to put up with the hassle of incans. Watched a neighbor fill his garbage can to the brim with light strings this year and had another friend tell me they did the same. Threw out everything they took down this year ans swore to go LED for next year. I thought the least they could have done was save them for the scrap guy that comes around...probably 15 bucks worth of copper in that can.

Unclebuck, unless you are generating your own power, it's hard to make the "can't afford LEDs argument anymore"....especially when running that many strings. You pay on one end or the other, so might as well get LED strings with vivid colors that can take a beating and will last a while. I have LED strings that are on their fourth season of 45 day shows, I take them out of the rubbermaid and they light up. No tracking down 5 dead bulbs, etc. on every string, every year. That alone will save you the cost of at least one heart attack from all the stress.  That said, I have never paid retail for LEDs and wouldn't expect you too either..I always manage to find a sale or closeout. My average cost this year was around $7 per 50 ct string from big box stores. Many of them had 1/2 price sales BEFORE Christmas this year, so about the only thing left over to closeout were the unpopular "warm white" & multis.

Mike E.

Offline OneHotRT59

« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2012, »
I have several boxes of the Target incad. mini lights. I live in Mo and don't know what the freight would be.

I should have close to 90 each of the colors you need. Let me get a count and we can see what we can work out. I bought these thinking I would use them, but instead I have been using LEDs

If Uncle Buck passes on any of your red and green, let me know your prices too.
I am in need of the two colors, and shipping is not as bad from Missouri to Wisconsin.
I am ok on clear.
Thanks,
Randy

Offline OneHotRT59

« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2012, »
Agree with Gary for those still willing to put up with the hassle of incans. Watched a neighbor fill his garbage can to the brim with light strings this year and had another friend tell me they did the same. Threw out everything they took down this year ans swore to go LED for next year. I thought the least they could have done was save them for the scrap guy that comes around...probably 15 bucks worth of copper in that can.

Unclebuck, unless you are generating your own power, it's hard to make the "can't afford LEDs argument anymore"....especially when running that many strings. You pay on one end or the other, so might as well get LED strings with vivid colors that can take a beating and will last a while. I have LED strings that are on their fourth season of 45 day shows, I take them out of the rubbermaid and they light up. No tracking down 5 dead bulbs, etc. on every string, every year. That alone will save you the cost of at least one heart attack from all the stress.  That said, I have never paid retail for LEDs and wouldn't expect you too either..I always manage to find a sale or closeout. My average cost this year was around $7 per 50 ct string from big box stores. Many of them had 1/2 price sales BEFORE Christmas this year, so about the only thing left over to closeout were the unpopular "warm white" & multis.

Mike E.

You are correct Mike!  The sales started well before christmas, except for our Lowes.  SOme stores just did not have anything.  I lucked out at 75% at one big box on line, and picked up what they had left.  The local drug store chain was very stingy this year.  I hit every drug store in our town and cleaned one store out for $500 when they agreed to give me %50 on anything I wanted.  LED's and Incans.  I think I hit the magic $$ this year with my wife.  <md.. <md.. 
Lights were in the stores real early and gone real early too.

Offline UncleBuck

« Reply #14 on: January 13, 2012, »
OneHotRT59, feel free to grab the lights. I will most likely pass due to the shipping.