Author Topic: Overly cautious?  (Read 966 times)

Offline urthegman

Overly cautious?
« on: December 02, 2012, »
Am I being overly cautious if I take in all of my flexible ribbon smart strings when it rains? I have a 10 x 90 horizontal matrix, two vertical 4 x 120 vertical matrices and two flex ribbon inside pvc 120 node arches that I don't mind taking in to avoid weather problems.

Offline shaunkad

Re: Overly cautious?
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2012, »
If the are not IP68 then no

Offline urthegman

« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2012, »
They are, but the rain just scares the bejeebers out of me with all the time and money and effort that went into them, I'm thinking I would rather take the 15 minutes to bring them in out of the rain, then have to worry. Too cautious?

Offline mitch09

Overly cautious?
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2012, »
Mine are all out in the rain ip68 solder joints sealed with several coats of clear plasti-dip. Two strait days of rain. No problems yet. I am more concerned with my SSC inside PVC. Ends sealed with hot glue.

Offline jnealand

• Patron Member
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2012, »
It would depend on much effort it would be to take in and put back out.  What about just covering them up with some clear vinyl all the time or just any old tarp when weather threatens?
Jim Nealand
Kennesaw, GA

Offline urthegman

« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2012, »
Taking them down and putting them up is pretty easy, I think I just answered my own question, I will be taking them down like a rain sissy! LOL

Offline typoagain

« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2012, »
I understand your concern. The cost of the display is always a concern for me.

But if I had to take part of the display in a night or during bad weather then that is part of the display that would no longer be around. I have a hard enough time just getting it out once!
One of the new guys in Odessa TX.

Offline kgustafson

• Coop Manager
    • Lost Weekend Productions
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2012, »
Is there really something like overly cautious?  I think it is ONLY considered too much caution when NOTHING happens.  It is considered BRILLIANT when your protection saves you from something that--otherwise--would have been really bad!  A measure of caution is a good thing IMO.

Kurt

------
Visit at: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline deplanche

« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2012, »
As long as you aren't going more damage by taking down and putting up each day, and you have the time and energy to do so, go for it.

Offline urthegman

« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2012, »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
As long as you aren't going more damage by taking down and putting up each day, and you have the time and energy to do so, go for it.
Not planning to take it down everyday only when the forecast calls for rain.