Author Topic: Strange Wireless to Wired Issue with Express and SSR4s  (Read 1500 times)

Offline jwilliams31

• Williams Family Christmas Lights
Currently I'm running 4 Expresses, all wireless, and 3 SSR4s.

I had the 3 SSRs connected to a single Express in series.  I had the last SSR terminated.  Intermittently, all of the lights connected to the 3 SSRs would go out for a few seconds, then come back on.  The lights connected to all of the Expresses were fine.

I tried moving the 3 SSRs to a different Express, but had the same problem.  Finally, I split them up.  2 SSRs to one Express and 1 to another Express.  This seemed to fix the issue, at least they haven't gone out while I've been watching.

Any thoughts on what could have caused this?  I'm guessing it was a DMX signalling issue since all 3 dropped at the same time.

Thanks.

Jason
Einstein once said: "There are two things that are infinite; the universe and human stupidity. And, I'm not too sure about the universe."

Offline rrowan

• Administrator
Re: Strange Wireless to Wired Issue with Express and SSR4s
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2012, »
the ssr4s seem to have problems with low voltage. Are they all connected to the same power cord or circuit?

Are these the latest version of the SSR4 or previous ?

or one of the RS-485 chips is flaky

Rick R.
Light Animation Hobby - Having fun and Learning at the same time. (21st member of DLA)
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Warning SOME assembly required

Offline jwilliams31

« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2012, »
Yes, they are all connected to the same power cord.

Also, all of the SSRs are version 2.0.

I doubt it's a chip because all three boxes would drop out, regardless of which was "box 1" in the chain.

Thanks.

Jason.
Einstein once said: "There are two things that are infinite; the universe and human stupidity. And, I'm not too sure about the universe."

Offline onesmoothhead

• Listen to the Lights New Mexico
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2012, »
I had this happen to me before and it is because they are connected to the same power source.  If you split them to different power sources than the should be fine.  SSR4 hate low voltage.

Offline chrisatpsu

• ahhh, yes... my new blink-i-nator 3000!!!
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2012, »
it can also happen with longer smaller conductor extension cords.
To rule the entire tri-state area!  What's that? Perry the Platypus!!!

Offline rm357

Strange Wireless to Wired Issue with Express and SSR4s
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2012, »
Yup, I've had similar issues with the ssr4. If you turn all the lights on at the same time, the voltage can drop at the ssr4 and the pic reboots. The gauge and length of the power cord along with how much current is needed for the lights all adds together.

Running separate runs of power cord is almost the same as using a heavier power cord

For example 2 runs of 16 gauge is about the same as 1 run of 14 gauge.
Robert
Warner Robins, Georgia, USA

Offline jwilliams31

« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2012, »
I will give separating the power a shot.

Thanks for the info.

Jason