Author Topic: Cat5 cable  (Read 1847 times)

Offline Beanbag109

• "If I bulid it, it will flash and blink"
Cat5 cable
« on: January 03, 2012, »
I just found over 2000 feet of cat5 cable for sale (in 5 boxes) for $70. I am not up to smart strings yet, but I will get there. Is this a good price?

Thanks'
Mike the newbe

Offline Steve Gase

• WinterLightShow in Georgetown, TX
Re: Cat5 cable
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2012, »
A lot of folks goto monoprice.com for cables.  You might look there for something comparable.
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login  |  110K channels, 50K lights  |  Nutcracker, Falcon, DLA, HolidayCoro

Offline chrisatpsu

• ahhh, yes... my new blink-i-nator 3000!!!
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2012, »
for going to the ssc from the hub make sure it's stranded cat5 cable...  it'll handle the power better than solid.
To rule the entire tri-state area!  What's that? Perry the Platypus!!!

Offline RJ

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2012, »
this is likely Solid. do not use solid on Smart Strings. Stranded only.  It is not that it is better to use stranded, you must use stranded.

RJ
Innovation beats imitation - and it's more satisfying

Offline Beanbag109

• "If I bulid it, it will flash and blink"
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2012, »
Thanks folks, I)l wait until I'm closer to SS's

Offline mykroft

• Restrictive
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2012, »
current flows better in stranded cable because there is more surface in stranded vs solid where the current flows on the surface of the conductor, not the center....

Offline RJ

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2012, »
At our freqency, voltage & current this is not an issue. What is an issue is the mechnical issues. It is far cheaper in the long run to just pickup premade stranded cables from like Monoprice and not having issues. Solid will cause issue in the long run and it will not have saved anyone anything.

RJ

Offline Jeffl

• Just remember. Wireless is nice. Copper is king!
    • Christmas In Brandon
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2012, »
This has me inquisitive now.  Should we also stay away from solid for running DMX for LE's and such?  I have some left over solid from when I wired my house and thought it might be good to use it.  Now I'm having second thoughts.

Offline deanathpc

• Brooks Family Lights
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2012, »
Can I ask the issue with solid?
-------------------
Dean
Check out our web site: 

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

2011 Light Count: 8,700

[img width= height=]http://www.vixenlights.com/sig/sig_h.php/160.gif[/img]

Offline rogerwh

« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2012, »
I'm sure others with more knowledge can chime in, but one of the issues with solid is it is designed to be installed in a permanent manner and not moved.  Continued flexing and bending of the cable as you would normally have running the cables to an Express, etc from year to year will eventually lead to a break in the wire.

Offline RJ

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2012, »
when a solid conductor on you DMX stuff breaks you quit working. When it breaks on SS stuff you can cause other conductors to carry more current (not good). Also as said the stranded premade cables are done with a machine so we know we have a good connections to prevent hot spots in the connectors from us not making good connections.

Please just take my word and use the standed stuff to prevent issues. If you order the stuff from monoprice or a different place like that you can get the premade stranded cables cheaper than you can buy the stuff to make them.

RJ

Offline Jeffl

• Christmas In Brandon
« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2012, »
Buying them instead of making them is usually cheaper and almost always saves time because we mess up the ends.  The one thing I have noticed lately is the cat5 cables do not have twisted pairs.  I had a rabbit chew one and after cutting it open I noticed the wires were straight through.

It worries me that these should be four twisted pairs instead of 8 wires straight through.  It makes me wonder what problems this could cause us.  I'll also watch where I purchase cables in the future.  Cheaper isn't always better.

Offline tbone321

« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2012, »
If the cable you are speaking of had no twists then it couldn't have been CAT5.  The number of twists per inch is one of the specs of CAT5 and I'm pretty sure that it's not 0.  If it is being sold as CAT5 then someone is selling the wrong product.
If at first you don't succeed,
your not cut out for sky diving

Offline Jeffl

• Christmas In Brandon
« Reply #13 on: January 05, 2012, »
If the cable you are speaking of had no twists then it couldn't have been CAT5.  The number of twists per inch is one of the specs of CAT5 and I'm pretty sure that it's not 0.  If it is being sold as CAT5 then someone is selling the wrong product.

Welcome to buying products made in China.

Offline chrisatpsu

• ahhh, yes... my new blink-i-nator 3000!!!
« Reply #14 on: January 05, 2012, »
I had posted this on the porch

To rule the entire tri-state area!  What's that? Perry the Platypus!!!