Author Topic: Anyone still have their display up?  (Read 3531 times)

Offline LondoB5

Anyone still have their display up?
« on: January 27, 2011, »
I live in the northeast, and we've been clobbered by snow this year. Unfortunately, that made really only 1 or 2 days since the new year to take down my display.
Well...I was busy those days.
So the only things I've really taken down and put in the garage have been the 2 inflatables that we have (which we probably won't use next year.
All of my lights, lighted deer, stars, minitrees, etc are still on the lawn. Now they're covered under 2 feet of snow.
This is out first year with a large display, so we really were not prepared to take it down within the small window of nice weather.
So I guess we are waiting for a thaw / drying off period.

Anyone else have most of their stuff up?
When do you plan to take it down?
In your experience, will it damage the light strings?

Offline rm357

Re: Anyone still have their display up?
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2011, »
Mega tree came down on new year's day
lights in the bushes and yard about a week later - these are on the floor of my garage
Icicle lights are still on the house - waiting for a warm day - like 55+
(I know, for you guys in the north that's a hot day, but in middle GA my coats are not that heavy... ;-)

RM
Robert
Warner Robins, Georgia, USA

Offline gforman

« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2011, »
Glad to hear i am not the only one with lights still up, but other than limited time I have no excuse. every thing is down except the lights I need a ladder for
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work"
  Thomas Edison

Offline inzeos

« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2011, »
I've got 20 or so strands of lights still up and my first Lynx Express battling the elements.  We had a little bit of a thaw this week; however, it was on a day that I had both the infant at home (wife at work) and a full conference call schedule for work.

Offline tbone321

« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2011, »
It is all down and now finally for the mot part put away.  What is stopping you from putting out your inflatables next year?
If at first you don't succeed,
your not cut out for sky diving

Offline steve hughes

• HughesHolidays
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2011, »
I am almost ashamed to admit this, but the entire display is still up. The plan was to disassemble it around Jan 15'th once all the videos were shot and edited to make sure I didn't need to reshoot anything. Now since work has taken over, (sometimes it bites to be the police) I am hoping to get everything down by around the 15'th of February. I have about 20 controllers that have been either mounted to the house and/or hidden in various places in the yard. Everything still seems to be working fine. All of the controllers are LOR this year but betcha by next year...there will be alot of stuff changed over/around/etc. If anyone's around the East Texas area, and wants to see the show, let me know. The clock is ticking I have been told! My boss is starting to want her yard back and I can only hold her off so long!
Don't run, you will just goto jail tired

Offline maffeirw

• Patron Member
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2011, »
I got my blow-ups down on 01/07/11, the day the snow started and buried everything.  It seems that it been snowing ever since.  I used Bob Rivers "Decorations" in the show but I really didn't intend to "keep em up till well past Easter" but it looks as though I might have to if we don't get a warm spell. 
Luceat lux vestra

Offline sirloinofbeef001

• Reach for the stars
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2011, »
I was able to get all of mine down in a driving snow and my neighbors all stared out the windows looking at me like I was part of a three ring circus.. I was pt Barnum for a day.
Its the most wonderful time of the year.

Offline CB

« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2011, »
I got all of mine down with exception to one pair of bells located on a gable end of the roof.  I walked the cedar shake roof until it got wet, and since then it has not reached over 32 degrees so they can wait until spring.  At least my last name is bell so I can just say we are carrying on a legacy.

Offline tpctech

« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2011, »
Stuff still up....Yup!

I manged to get the megatree, cords and controllers up before the 2ft of snow!  The rest will wait till no snow and warmer then 30!!

KEN 

Offline Wildbill

• Our 2011 Christmas Light Show
« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2011, »
90% of mine is still out there under all the snow. I got a few candy canes out of the ground one day but the rest is frozen in there. ::)

Offline ron d

« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2011, »
Controllers and ground wires down, But snow in Pa. still piling up! arches, mini trees,mega tree and star still up. Oh and lights on 9 other neighbors houses still need to come down. With the addition of more RGB stuff mabye next year Ill run and Easter sequence using pastel colors!

Offline tonyv2842

« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2011, »
I still have quite a bit out.  Can barely see some of the antlers on the reindeers.  We are supposed to have more snow Tuesday into Wednesday.  Snow blower is getting one heck of a workout though.  Can't help thinking how much of our stuff is going to be unuseable or unrecognizable when I finally can actually get to it.

Offline zwiller

« Reply #13 on: January 31, 2011, »
90% still up but no power.  Covered with a foot of snow and or ice.  Another foot coming tonight!  I really think I wouldn't be able to get my cords out even if I tried.   

I am waiting for a good weather day...  or spring...  whichever comes first!
Sam, who is happy he flashed his etherdongle with newest firmware!

"Now, I had heard that word at least ten times a day from my old man. He worked in profanity the way other artists might work in oils or clay. It was his true medium; a master."

Offline Trevor

• Wilson Family Lights
« Reply #14 on: January 31, 2011, »
Im in Pa and over half of my display is still up inducing my 12' X 28' foot arch. I cant just take that down by myself. Now i hear that were getting hit by an ice storm tomorrow so i went out and bought bubble wrap and plan on wrapping the whole whing with it and plugging in the lights in hopes to keep the ice off of it.  <fp.
Even as an adult I find it difficult to sleep on Christmas Eve.  Yuletide excitement is a potent caffeine, no matter your age.