Author Topic: More Halloween Animation-Light questions  (Read 1451 times)

Offline paulcimn

More Halloween Animation-Light questions
« on: January 30, 2011, »
This is really addictive...  >.d9  <;d

Has anyone done animation using hydraulics or pneumatics run from one of the LEs or similar devices? I was looking at a coffin with a dummy that opens the coffin, sits up and turns his head as part of the Halloween show. Has anyone done anything like this???

I am also soliciting comments and thoughts regarding another idea...

I am looking at making 5 D-shaped loops. The straight line of the D is where the hoops connect and the face parts will 'hang' across the three center hoops holding them in place. I have a sketch that I will provide and when construction is close or complete, I will provide pictures and lessons-learned for any or everyone to use and improve...

Two things I am looking for thoughts or recommendations on:

First, I was looking at getting an orange rope light to illuminate the 5 hoops, I am tracking that this would require that I custom cut the LED rope lights and connect them together (1 plug) or terminate each of them (5 plugs)... any ideas? Has this been done? pros/cons? (I am trying to keep all LED)

Second, for the face grill, I am trying to secure the lights perpendicular to the wire structure. The lights are going to be the 5mm LEDs on white wire. I have not started building/cutting/welding the wire but was looking at about 1/8" steel for a good bond and durability. What might be the best way to secure the lights to the structure?  Any other ideas??

Thanks again for everyone's help!  ;D

Offline LondoB5

Re: More Halloween Animation-Light questions
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2011, »
Since you're doing halloween, have you seen this?
They have a writeup on PlanetChristmas on how to do this.
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline paulcimn

« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2011, »
In the Army, my bosses have always said plagiarism is the highest form of flattery... I got the talking pumpkin idea from them but wanted to try to do it at the next level... >:D

Offline LondoB5

« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2011, »
In the Army, my bosses have always said plagiarism is the highest form of flattery... I got the talking pumpkin idea from them but wanted to try to do it at the next level... >:D

I'm planning to copy the guy that did this as well.
I'm also planning a fog machine/graveyard and michael myers appearing from either a coffin or behind a door or something...haven't figured it all out yet.

For what you were asking about pneumatics, etc., you may want to try this PC forum, if you haven't seen it yet.

Offline Asterix0

« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2011, »
This may be useful:

Offline wwwgator

• S.E. WI
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2011, »
You can use the MR16 or another 12VDC controller to drive the air solenoids. Remember to program them full on/off or you will have a bunch of chattering and misfiring air cylinders. I tend to shy away form the 120V solenoids, they are a little more expensive, larger physical size, and require more detail in the installation.

The guy next to me in our shop has done some 6'+ rising ghouls in his halloween displays, I have corrupted him to do christmas now......

The other hint is to use a fairly large accumulator tank for the air. Nothing ruins the scary moments like an air compressor kicking in ......
I know nothing......and I prove it DAILY!!!

Getting crazy ideas and breaking stuff since 1977

Master Electrician/ Electrical Inspector/ Evil Genius (apprentice)