Author Topic: anyone working on a DIY strobe?  (Read 1933 times)

Offline gizmo

anyone working on a DIY strobe?
« on: February 23, 2011, »
I missed th COOP over at Auschristmas and the standalone LED strobe is a thing of the past.

I was wondering is anyone here has a design in the works?

scott
new this year hope to do a 4 color mega tree with a grinch controller

Offline abrianbaker

Re: anyone working on a DIY strobe?
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2011, »
I would like to second his request!  Definitely want strobes in the 2011 show!
This is my fourth year!!!
Smart String Mega Tree
6000 Pixel Net Channels
256 LE Channels
140,000 Lights
Controlled by Vixen 3.1, Xlights Nutcracker
"You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login"

Offline inzeos

« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2011, »
I've seen / read about a bunch of different strobe options.  However, not sure if the are DIY or not.  Would like to add a few strobes to my show; however, I will probably put that on the 2012 list.  Would like to be able to simulate that in the crowd ballpark / stadium photographs flashes going off effect.

Offline rrowan

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2011, »
Hi guys,

I could be wrong (won't be the first time)

But CDI has c7 and c9 strobes for sale. The LE has a light curve (my guess it just turns on full or off, no dimming) for strobes. You just connect one or more strobes per channel and fire away. So is that what you are looking for or am I missing something?

Cheers

Rick R.

P.S. Of course the SS could simulate a strobe firing. See RJ's video of his SS mega tree
« Last Edit: February 24, 2011, by rrowan »
Light Animation Hobby - Having fun and Learning at the same time. (21st member of DLA)
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Warning SOME assembly required

Offline chrisatpsu

• ahhh, yes... my new blink-i-nator 3000!!!
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2011, »
for those that have strobes...

do they blink randomly once power is applied, or do you trigger the actual flash event?

i see some that say specs of 1 flash per sec, or 3 to 4 per second.    or does that have to deal with some sort of recover.
To rule the entire tri-state area!  What's that? Perry the Platypus!!!

Offline inzeos

« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2011, »
for those that have strobes...

do they blink randomly once power is applied, or do you trigger the actual flash event?

i see some that say specs of 1 flash per sec, or 3 to 4 per second.    or does that have to deal with some sort of recover.

I think it depends on the strobes.

Leif

Offline Rainlover

• Coop Admin
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2011, »
We bought C9 led strobes from CDI. They flash 2-3 times per second. They have the flasher built in so you don't trigger the event, you just supply power and they flash.

John
Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain!

Offline chrisatpsu

« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2011, »
so if you want a "strobe event" at an exact point, then you dont get it b/c it could delay?

Offline CaptKirk

« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2011, »
My experience with LED strobes is that they fire off really quick after being powered (such that you do not notice a delay).  If you are talking about the flash tube type strobes, then I assume there could be a charge up delay.  Sounds like you want a DMX controlled strobe that is ready to fire upon a command (it is powered, charged, and ready to fire) but I do not know about those...
"Beam me up Scotty- there is no intelligent life on this planet."

Offline chrisatpsu

« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2011, »
strobes would be good around the stars in an american flag type display...

hey, memorial day, flag day, 4th of july all come before christmas   : )

Offline CB

« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2011, »
I have some of the flash tube type strobes and they typically range from 1, 3 or 5 flashes per second (depending on the bulb specifications).  I have used them in a number of applications and have noticed only a slight fluxuation int he actual event timing (fractions of a second).  I use them to accent my mega tree, stars and this year I am adding some to my mini trees too.  All of mine are the C9 bulb socket type and were not DIY only because I DIY enough stuff and that was not one I wanted to add to my "to do" list.  I bought the majority of mine from CDI and I have not had a single problem with any of them other than some casualties from a mega tree wind disaster 2 years ago.

Corey

Offline inzeos

« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2011, »
I have some of the flash tube type strobes and they typically range from 1, 3 or 5 flashes per second (depending on the bulb specifications).  I have used them in a number of applications and have noticed only a slight fluxuation int he actual event timing (fractions of a second).  I use them to accent my mega tree, stars and this year I am adding some to my mini trees too.  All of mine are the C9 bulb socket type and were not DIY only because I DIY enough stuff and that was not one I wanted to add to my "to do" list.  I bought the majority of mine from CDI and I have not had a single problem with any of them other than some casualties from a mega tree wind disaster 2 years ago.

Corey

That the type of strobe you just add to a regular incandescence string of C9's?  Aka swap out the bulbs?

Offline CaptKirk

« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2011, »
Yes for both the xeon tube type AND the LED type strobes.  To test my LED strobes I fortunately had an old C9 set around still (almost chucked it out).
"Beam me up Scotty- there is no intelligent life on this planet."

Offline CB

« Reply #13 on: February 25, 2011, »

That the type of strobe you just add to a regular incandescence string of C9's?  Aka swap out the bulbs?
[/quote]

Yes it is, and I actually just use my spools of SPT-2 (Stranded Parallel Thermoplastic-18AWG) and add light sockets because with the exception of my mega tree the 25 sockets just take too much space.  I use one strobe on each mini tree and two on my 6' mini trees and I have also added strobes to my light towers as well.  When you can buy the LED strobes for around $5.50/EA of (10 for $55) to quote CDI, it just made the most sense to me to spend my time on controls, decorations and other DIY projects for the season.

I have also used some incan strobes that were repurposed from a emergency vehicle lighting system I came across from a coompany name Whelen, however that meant adding a 120V to 12V converter, but those are wildly bright.  I use them on a trane I built.

Offline gizmo

« Reply #14 on: March 01, 2011, »
i seen prices around $1.25 per strobe for DIY on auschristmas.
im wanting to ad about 150 strobes next year and without DIY cant come close to afording them.

The SSSS looks good but it needs a controller and that means programming which meant time, BUT the price is GOOD.
new this year hope to do a 4 color mega tree with a grinch controller