Author Topic: Appreciation for the "unseen" work involved in the design of Lynx equipment  (Read 1648 times)

Offline dlhoppe

I don't know how many people actually realize the amount of work that goes into the firmware development for these devices. It's impressive enough to see the hardware designs. That's something we can see and touch. However, I've been gaining some experience with the software side of things and I can tell you it's not trivial at all. The firmware is really the heart and soul of these devices. The ease of simply downloading a firmware file from the Wiki seems to really minimize the amount of work and importance that's connected with them. The more I learn about this stuff, the more I'm impressed with the scope of complexity and the resulting quality inherent in the Lynx equipment.

Kudos to RJ and the rest of the DLA team!

Dave

Offline kylec

• Patron Member
    • Christmas in Lake Stevens
Excess is Success
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline rrowan

• Administrator
Hi Dave,

I know how much "fun" is involved writing software for the pics. I wrote some programs for myself all in assembly like RJ and I all I can say is I am glad no one is waiting for me to get the Express firmware working. Way beyond my skill set

btw: Just in case anybody is confused. I totally agree with Dave, RJ does a ton of work and MANY MANY hours working and fine tuning the firmware and hardware. Nothing to say about the hours on the website and answering PMs and doing a coop or two.

Cheers

Rick R.
Light Animation Hobby - Having fun and Learning at the same time. (21st member of DLA)
Warning SOME assembly required

Offline SteveMaris

To a simpleton like me it is truly amazing. Respect indeed.  <res.

Offline NavyGator

• Coop Manager
 <wd.. <res.

I am glad and thankful RJ has a cool hobby that he was willing to share with everyone and thanks to the help from everyone.

Rich

Offline n1ist

• Coop Manager
As someone who does embedded systems design for a living, I also appreciate the hard work that goes into all of these designs.  And so many are done in assembly!  (Most of my work is in C; I let the compiler designers have the fun beating everything so it fits in these little micros).

Great job, and thanks.
/mike

Offline cubbieco

I just built my first LE and ran the test sequence and surprisingly it worked!  It put me at such a high and I'm so excited I'm totally going to blow the budget this year!  I wanted to put in a special thanks to RJ and the rest for making this possible.  I'm sure he could have added another controller to the commercial market but he wanted to give it away and then some.  Strong kudos and thanks.

I can't wait for my pic programmer to arrive so I can know if I screwed up my lynx dongle or not.  lol.

Offline Gary

• Diamond Crescent
I'm just a "lowly IT guy" whose job is to help people get the most of technology that somebody else developed.

Many people take high tech things like the Internet and cell phones for granted, but I truly appreciate the effort that goes into making electronics, even though I don't venture anywhere near hardware and firmware development. It's hard to fathom that there are human beings smart enough to develop the electronics we use today. Something like a computer operating system allowing multiple programs to run at once, manipulated with keyboard and mouse, displayed in a huge grid to represent a picture on the screen, data that can be saved on a magnetic spinning surface, etc. working together in unison is impressive.

Offline sirloinofbeef001

• Reach for the stars
Thanks to all at diy for all the unpaid work you do from dealing with ppl like me who knows nothing about the making of the products and thought behind it all. as one man says, cheers.
Its the most wonderful time of the year.