Author Topic: Apple Picker Tree Topper  (Read 1956 times)

Offline inzeos

Apple Picker Tree Topper
« on: November 07, 2011, »
I can't seem to find my print out or my bookmark for a project, which made a mid sized mega tree using a modified apple picker basket to hold lights at the top.

Don't suppose anyone else might have book marked that or remembers the link?

I'm trying to get a few smaller mid sized mega trees added to the display this year.

Thinking of PVC if it will be strong enough for a 7 or 8 foot tree.

Offline meman

Re: Apple Picker Tree Topper
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2011, »
Never saw the article, but I can envision a down and dirty mini megatree using a fruit picker like this on the end of schedule 40 PVC (biggest diameter you can shove into the fruit picker). Trim the picker down to size with some snips, hang the light strings from the tines and tie wrap the the other ends to a hula hoop full of sand to keep them spaced out on the ground. 

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

For my first megatree experiment a couple of years ago, I just cut a plastic wire spool (from a 250' roll of spt1) in half and stuck it on a piece of 2in PVC. Then cut notches around the edge to hang the wires from.  Worked great, even in high winds.

Good luck and have fun with it!
Mike E.

Offline inzeos

« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2011, »
Never saw the article, but I can envision a down and dirty mini megatree using a fruit picker like this on the end of schedule 40 PVC (biggest diameter you can shove into the fruit picker). Trim the picker down to size with some snips, hang the light strings from the tines and tie wrap the the other ends to a hula hoop full of sand to keep them spaced out on the ground. 

For my first megatree experiment a couple of years ago, I just cut a plastic wire spool (from a 250' roll of spt1) in half and stuck it on a piece of 2in PVC. Then cut notches around the edge to hang the wires from.  Worked great, even in high winds.

Good luck and have fun with it!
Mike E.

That is pretty much the basics of the set up.  You can get the basket's dirt cheap at Harbor Freight when season's change.

I need something bit heavier than snips to cut the basket down to size.  I'm thinking maybe angle grinder would do the trink.  They are like 1/4" or thicker piece of steel.

Offline meman

« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2011, »
I'm sure the grinder would work. Or, you can add $9.99 bolt cutters to your tool collection while you're at Harbor Freight getting the fruit picker  :)

Offline inzeos

« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2011, »
I'm sure the grinder would work. Or, you can add $9.99 bolt cutters to your tool collection while you're at Harbor Freight getting the fruit picker  :)

Did not even think about my bolt cutters, good call!  Had to buy them once when I realized I was 7 hours from home and the wife had forgotten the key to the storage unit.

Offline deanathpc

• Brooks Family Lights
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2011, »
Yup I do remember that article.  Can't remember where though myself.

I just ordered my mega tree topper from christmaslightshow.com maybe.  Along with parts for the tree too.  I did not go with the black water pipe though.  did the cheaper EMT instead.  Half the cost.  Initially it was going to be a 10' tree but after the last purchase it's not a 15' tree. :)

We do need to get together sometime inzeos.  Esp. since we are fairly close!

Dean
-------------------
Dean
Check out our web site: 

2011 Light Count: 8,700

[img width= height=]http://www.vixenlights.com/sig/sig_h.php/160.gif[/img]

Offline inzeos

« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2011, »

I just ordered my mega tree topper from christmaslightshow.com maybe.  Along with parts for the tree too.  I did not go with the black water pipe though.  did the cheaper EMT instead.  Half the cost.  Initially it was going to be a 10' tree but after the last purchase it's not a 15' tree. :)

Dean

Have you gotten your products from them yet?

They look to have a really nice line up of products for building the trees.

Certainly need to get together as well.  Do you need any extra hands coming up w/ your display?

Leif

Offline deanathpc

• Brooks Family Lights
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2011, »

Dean

Certainly need to get together as well.  Do you need any extra hands coming up w/ your display?

Leif

Yup sure did.....  I would have thought the welding would be better though esp. in regards to cosmetics but things are holding so I guess it doesn't make much difference.

Well let's pick a day / time. :)  Right now I have the basic display in my head laid out.  I have to finished the mega-tree tonight after the wife comes home to give me a hand in it's proper placement.  I'm still not happy yet where I have it so I have to move some things around.  with almost 70 degree weather today I'm gonna get it done today! :)  Ran out of time for the spiral tree though which I so wanted to do.  And not enough lights for the arches I wanted to do to.. :(

I have to get started sequencing though pretty darn quick!  I want to start the show the night of Black Friday.  Not sure I'm gonna make it. :)

Dean
-------------------
Dean
Check out our web site: 

Offline inzeos

« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2011, »

Dean

Leif

Yup sure did.....  I would have thought the welding would be better though esp. in regards to cosmetics but things are holding so I guess it doesn't make much difference.

Well let's pick a day / time. :)  Right now I have the basic display in my head laid out.  I have to finished the mega-tree tonight after the wife comes home to give me a hand in it's proper placement.  I'm still not happy yet where I have it so I have to move some things around.  with almost 70 degree weather today I'm gonna get it done today! :)  Ran out of time for the spiral tree though which I so wanted to do.  And not enough lights for the arches I wanted to do to.. :(

I have to get started sequencing though pretty darn quick!  I want to start the show the night of Black Friday.  Not sure I'm gonna make it. :)

Dean

Hmm, did the welds look shoddy?  For the price I would expect them to work nicely...

What parts did you end up getting from them?  Looks like they offer a ton of different pieces.

Offline deanathpc

• Brooks Family Lights
« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2011, »
yeah..  My first impression was: I paid how much for this?  I expected better quality.  I mean it works but every piece was the same.  Rather surprised actually.

Let's see I got a couple of things....  Lemme look here.....

SKU240    1 1/4" 5-Way Metal Pole Stand
SKU299    Guy Wire Collar (Fits 1 1/4" pipe)
SKU227    Standard Hook Head
Options:    
size:    1 1/4" Thread

pole_pin    Mega Tree Pole Pin

Those were my items.  If I knew how to weld I'm thinking I might have been able to do a little better job but since I don't know how to I really don't know if I could have done a better job.  I was still surprised by the quality with the price I paid.

Dean
-------------------
Dean
Check out our web site: 

Offline inzeos

« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2011, »
yeah..  My first impression was: I paid how much for this?  I expected better quality.  I mean it works but every piece was the same.  Rather surprised actually.

Let's see I got a couple of things....  Lemme look here.....

SKU240    1 1/4" 5-Way Metal Pole Stand
SKU299    Guy Wire Collar (Fits 1 1/4" pipe)
SKU227    Standard Hook Head
Options:    
size:    1 1/4" Thread

pole_pin    Mega Tree Pole Pin

Those were my items.  If I knew how to weld I'm thinking I might have been able to do a little better job but since I don't know how to I really don't know if I could have done a better job.  I was still surprised by the quality with the price I paid.

Dean

Yeah, it just looks like it would speed things up really nicely and the fact that it's metal is nice.  Wondering how long wood bases like I'm planning would last buried in the snow season after season.

Offline deanathpc

• Brooks Family Lights
« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2011, »
lol yeah probably not long..  Just happened to finish up the mega tree today.  opened up the controller and messing with the wireless module and noticed at every solder joint it's covered in white flaky gunk.  So my "case" isn't working very well.  Not a good sign.  Gonna have to get some protectant on these boards!!!

But yes it made the tree setup much easier and quicker.  I just don't have the patience for build a topper etc.  My tree looks pretty bland without a star or something on top though.  Just noticed that today after I was done.  really noticed.  and it's 15' up and I don't have a ladder tall enough so it's gonna have to stay that way. :(

live and learn I guess..
-------------------
Dean
Check out our web site: 

Offline inzeos

« Reply #12 on: November 09, 2011, »
lol yeah probably not long..  Just happened to finish up the mega tree today.  opened up the controller and messing with the wireless module and noticed at every solder joint it's covered in white flaky gunk.  So my "case" isn't working very well.  Not a good sign.  Gonna have to get some protectant on these boards!!!

But yes it made the tree setup much easier and quicker.  I just don't have the patience for build a topper etc.  My tree looks pretty bland without a star or something on top though.  Just noticed that today after I was done.  really noticed.  and it's 15' up and I don't have a ladder tall enough so it's gonna have to stay that way. :(

live and learn I guess..

Post some pics lit and unlit :)

Offline deanathpc

• Brooks Family Lights
« Reply #13 on: November 09, 2011, »
Maybe I can do that tomorrow.  At least unlit anyway.  Might even be able to shoot some video of it too.  I don't have power out to it right now so lit might be a little tougher. :)
-------------------
Dean
Check out our web site: 

Offline inzeos

« Reply #14 on: November 09, 2011, »
Maybe I can do that tomorrow.  At least unlit anyway.  Might even be able to shoot some video of it too.  I don't have power out to it right now so lit might be a little tougher. :)

A good day time set up shot :)