Author Topic: Can I use the forum (and polling feature) to gauge interest in Academy vendors?  (Read 995 times)

Offline Steve Gase

• WinterLightShow in Georgetown, TX
We'd like to encourage vendors to attend the academy -- not just for their benefit and the opportunity to create relationships with their customers -- but also to pass along cost savings by picking up the product at the academy.

I'm interested in posing the question to DLA members about their interest in picking up orders at the academy... how many enclosures of each type.

This encroaches into the area of a bulk buy for a non-DLA product.  But my goal is to provide pre-sales numbers to a vendor so that he will come with a fully-loaded truck ready to exchange money for product.

RJ and admin team... would you support this activity within the forum?
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login  |  110K channels, 50K lights  |  Nutcracker, Falcon, DLA, HolidayCoro

Offline Ryan Johnson

Steve-  You know how much I appreciate people getting in contact with vendors they know concerning the Academy.  However I don't think you're aware that the vendor you're talking about has been in contact with two vendor reps from the Academy and has both the attending and advertising contracts in hand.  They're VERY interested but have some decisions that need to be made on the leadership side of their company.

I don't know the rules on DLA for this but I think it's safe for you (as I said on LSH, I think) and anyone else to talk with vendors you have a relationship with (including this one) and let them know what they can expect.  Tell them you want them there!   I'd imagine you can make a pretty good case for attending without specific interest numbers (from DLA or LSH).
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline Steve Gase

I do plan to call him.  but I'd like to come armed with a plan to tell him how we might be able to help in the estimation of product he might bring with him.  this information would reinforce that this is not an abstract possibility of selling his wares, but instead an idea of how big of a truck he should bring.

:)

I avoided posting this request on LHS to avoid duplicate numbers from being reported, and the core group of buyers is found here.
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login  |  110K channels, 50K lights  |  Nutcracker, Falcon, DLA, HolidayCoro

Offline RJ

• Administrator
We can not make post that appear to be ad's or support a certain vendor in any way. DLA operates outside the commerical area as a site and does not allow such to prevent having to allow all to do so. This is why DLA has stay away from the vendor side of the academy.

RJ
Innovation beats imitation - and it's more satisfying

Offline tbone321

Another issue is what vendors will be coming and what they sell.  Unless it's small items, the only ones gaining any advantage would be for the ones driving to the Academy.  I know that you mentioned cases but if you are talking Express cases, this wouldn't help anyone but the people driving in.  The airlines charge $50 and up per bag (or box) for added baggage and that's more money than it costs me to have them shipped.  While it sounds great to have vendors there the attendees have to determine how they are going to get what they buy back home.
If at first you don't succeed,
your not cut out for sky diving

Offline chrisatpsu

• ahhh, yes... my new blink-i-nator 3000!!!
anybody have trouble going through airport security with pcb's in their luggage? or even the nonsoldering parts?
To rule the entire tri-state area!  What's that? Perry the Platypus!!!

Offline Steve Gase

We can not make post that appear to be ad's or support a certain vendor in any way. DLA operates outside the commerical area as a site and does not allow such to prevent having to allow all to do so. This is why DLA has stay away from the vendor side of the academy.

RJ
Can I do this without mentioning a specific vendor?
Maybe this attempt to gauge interest (sizing) could attract multiple vendors.

Offline Ryan Johnson

Can I do this without mentioning a specific vendor?
Maybe this attempt to gauge interest (sizing) could attract multiple vendors.

Based on PMs RJ and I have shared I believe the point is that DLA doesn't allow any of the commercial vendor pieces here on the forum.  I would think that even if you're not naming a specific vendor, it would fall into that "no no" category.  It would probably be best to simply contact the vendors you wish, tell them about the event, and leave it at that.  "Gauging interest" could create problems by violating the terms of the forum.  Not mention, and I speak from experience, when you go to a vendor and say "I gauged interest and I think we'll have 100 people order from you" and then 20 actually buy they tend to get (rightfully) annoyed.  You have no way of knowing how many of those who are "interested" will actually commit when the time comes.  In addition, you have no idea how many DLA members are registered to even attend the Academy so it makes it hard to get real concrete info.

To everyone at DLA: Every group/forum has their own identity, rules, and culture.  Everyone at LSH understands, appreciates, and will respect the DLA family's stance on this.  Of course you will absolutely be able to see any of the vendors at the Academy and take advantage of their offers if they interest you.  I'll be posting a list of who's coming in April but you can keep up to date on the event website You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline Mike Hill

• Here to learn
anybody have trouble going through airport security with pcb's in their luggage? or even the nonsoldering parts?

I have gone through security before with pcbs and led lights.  I work for an led light manufacturer for the transportation industry.  I pulled one of our large Trilliant light out of my suitcase because I knew they would want to pull it and do additional screening.  It took an extra 5 minutes for them to do this.  They did they wipe test and that was it.  I doubt a pcb alone would cause much of a stir....no attached wires, chips, etc.

If I make it to Academy I will be bringing an additional suitcase meeting the two bag limit for checked bags on US Air preferred members, at no extra cost.
Mike Hill
First display date 11-2011
"Never explain your actions, your enemies don't believe it and your friends don't need it."

Offline RJ

• Administrator
I carried SSC's inside pvc pipes (looks like pipe bombs), Hubs, Power Supplies, Aether ..... in my suitcase to the academy last year!  <wd..

RJ
Innovation beats imitation - and it's more satisfying