Hardware > Lynx Smart String

If anyone is still watching, I could use some help with an active hub

(1/3) > >>

jwilliams31:
I've had an active hub and several SSCs sitting around for several years.  I finally got around to putting them together this year, but I'm having issues getting the pixels to light.

The hub seems to be OK (I think), because I tested the following:

Connected LE to the DMX output and it worked.
Checked all fuses and they all checked out as good (no opens)
Used a test wire to check for 12v at the SSC outputs

However, when I connect the SSC and check voltage at the input, where the CAT5 meets the board, I have 0v.  It's very strange because it's a hard 0v.  Normally when there is no voltage, you'll still get some bouncing...however when I put the meter on the wires, it goes straight to 0v and stays there.  Maybe it's just me.

It could be the lead going into the SSC and not making a good connection with the CAT5 cable.  I haven't really given that a close look.  I have tried multiple CAT5 cables, so I doubt it's that.

Also, I'm using the unmodified SSCv1 board and firmware.

JoeFromOzarks:
Howdy!

I'm just making sure this is how you have the goodies hooked up: [ You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login   ]

If you connected the Express to the DMX out on the Smart Hub that could show your Dongle is properly programmed for PixelNet (and not DMX) plus the Smart Hub has good power and PIC is programmed correctly.

When you say "Used a test wire to check for 12v at the SSC outputs" you mean on the Hub, correct?

If you have voltage at the Hub outputs and not at the SSC inputs then first thing I'd check is to make sure the CAT5 cable between the Hub and the SSC is a STRAIGHT THROUGH (and not a crossover) cable.

We want to make sure the CAT5 wires are soldered on the SSC in the correct locations:   (See picture attached.)

1 - White with Orange Stripe (DATA)
2 - Orange (DATA)
3 - White with Blue Stripe (+)
4 - Blue (+)
5 - White with Green Stripe (+)
6 - Green (-)
7 - White with Brown Stripe (-)
8 - Brown (-)

After checking the wiring, inspect the CAT5 connector on the SSC for yucky substances.

We'll start here then move on to the next steps.

:) joe

You are not allowed to view links. Register or LoginI've had an active hub and several SSCs sitting around for several years.  I finally got around to putting them together this year, but I'm having issues getting the pixels to light.

The hub seems to be OK (I think), because I tested the following:

Connected LE to the DMX output and it worked.
Checked all fuses and they all checked out as good (no opens)
Used a test wire to check for 12v at the SSC outputs

However, when I connect the SSC and check voltage at the input, where the CAT5 meets the board, I have 0v.  It's very strange because it's a hard 0v.  Normally when there is no voltage, you'll still get some bouncing...however when I put the meter on the wires, it goes straight to 0v and stays there.  Maybe it's just me.

It could be the lead going into the SSC and not making a good connection with the CAT5 cable.  I haven't really given that a close look.  I have tried multiple CAT5 cables, so I doubt it's that.

Also, I'm using the unmodified SSCv1 board and firmware.

--- End quote ---

jwilliams31:
Ok, so maybe partially my fault.  Turns out I did have a bad cable.  At least I think it was.  I made a new, truly straight-through cable, and I got the test firmware to light.

Now on to my next problem.  I loaded the regular firmware, but can't seem to get it to program.  It says "transmitting", and that's it. 

JoeFromOzarks:

The SSC test firmware doesn't program.  You'll want to fetch this firmware: [ You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login  ] and NOT the later versions firmware.

Ensure the PROGRAM jumper on the SSC is jumped before connecting the RJ45 cable.  After programming and when the nodes blink white, the programming is successful.  Disconnect the RJ45 cable from the SSC, move the PROGRAM jumper off one post, reconnect the RJ45 cable and then try to program start channel with this utility [ You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login  ].   

Let us know how you're doing.

:) joe

You are not allowed to view links. Register or LoginOk, so maybe partially my fault.  Turns out I did have a bad cable.  At least I think it was.  I made a new, truly straight-through cable, and I got the test firmware to light.

Now on to my next problem.  I loaded the regular firmware, but can't seem to get it to program.  It says "transmitting", and that's it.

--- End quote ---

jwilliams31:
I have the correct firmware installed and I'm using the right programmer, but I don't get any blinky.

Does it matter what I set the starting channel to?

And just to make sure, the jumper needs to be OFF when I'm trying to program the starting channel, correct?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version