Author Topic: Attaching Smart String Nodes to House?  (Read 3472 times)

Offline duane.mosley

• hearthstonelights.com
Re: Attaching Smart String Nodes to House?
« Reply #15 on: December 14, 2012, »
i attached mine to 1/2 pvc and used red electrical tape to create the candy cane effect. looks nice during the day and when the nodes are all white you can see them at night as bright as the nodes are.

duane
Florence, KY

facebook.com/hearthstonelights

Offline rm357

Attaching Smart String Nodes to House?
« Reply #16 on: December 15, 2012, »
Red Flag alert.

Be really careful when stapling or nailing things on the roof. If you penetrate the shingles, you will need to patch every hole when you take things down... If you don't you will have leaks the next time it rains.

RM

Robert
Warner Robins, Georgia, USA

Offline JonB256

• My website
« Reply #17 on: December 15, 2012, »
Lonewolf, that looks like a great way to form a lot of geometric shapes. Stars, particularly.
I am also wondering about the router and jig you used. I can't cut a straight line with hand tools.

Offline mitch09

Attaching Smart String Nodes to House?
« Reply #18 on: December 15, 2012, »
Here is how I attach to my window frames. I was thinking of doing the same for my house line next year.
1/2" PVC, white electrical tape. About a roll for 30'. 4 stainless anchor bolts per window with wing nuts.

Offline jnealand

• Patron Member
« Reply #19 on: December 15, 2012, »
My window frames are almost identical, but I just put two cup hooks at the top and hang the frame on them.  They don't seem to be bothered by wind or I would put something at the bottom to hold them down, but until then just two cup hooks at the top.
Jim Nealand
Kennesaw, GA

Offline lonewolf41

• Coop Manager
« Reply #20 on: December 16, 2012, »
OK, here are some additional pictures showing the brackets.  I also made a jig out of 1" steel pipe to bend the brackets to make the "cradle" for the PVC.  I used some strapping from Lowes and bent it.  I think it is about 1-1/2" wide or so.  They were galvanized and I painted them black.

For the slots, I did it by hand.  I have a table for my router with a fence (see picture).  I just keep it pushed up against the fence and table bottom real well and go slowly.  That allows me to keep it straight as it does want to roll, plus if I went to fast, it would chatter and start to wander.  The other thing is my pieces were already cut and only about 54" long so I was not doing a 10 foot long piece or anything.

Let me know if there is more questions.

Thanks,
-Keith