Author Topic: LED Matrix with Flexstrips  (Read 1167 times)

Offline peteandvanessa

LED Matrix with Flexstrips
« on: December 19, 2012, »
I'm sure someone has done this, but I'm thinking about building an LED matrix out of the LED Flexstrips for Halloween next year.

I was thinking about a resolution of say 60 Pixels wide x 48 Pixels high (which would give me 2400 pixels in total) , but that's like 24 Flexstrips at at about $60 per Flexstrips that's $1400.

Any folks done a matrix with LED Flexstrips that can still display text and animations, with fewer Flexstrips?

Offline urthegman

Re: LED Matrix with Flexstrips
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2012, »
Pete, mine is 10 ninety node flex strips. Here is a video: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline peteandvanessa

« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2012, »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Pete, mine is 10 ninety node flex strips. Here is a video: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

I like yours very much. Gives you a reasonable resolution. Looking at yours I'm thinking I might get away with 10 x 60 Nodes = 600

That would be say 5 x 120 Flexstrips and cut the 5 flexstrips in half to give me the 10 x 60 nodes.

Cost then would be about 5 x 60 = $300 (more in my budget range)

Offline zwiller

« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2012, »
I like George's too.  I too am trying to find a good balance between value and resolution.  Truth be told, I am thinking of going to a 2811 based 60/m with a 682 controller to keep the sign a bit smaller since I am like 30' to the street, but I am clueless and not really wanting to go astray from RJ's gear. 

I have asked Ray about a 1804 based 60/m and he says it's not possible.   

I wish there was a rgb led triks modular pcb panel that is 8x8 and you could add on more.  We could bulk order leds, maybe coop?  Each panel is powered via the active hub.  1024 leds max like 16x64. 
Sam, who is happy he flashed his etherdongle with newest firmware!

"Now, I had heard that word at least ten times a day from my old man. He worked in profanity the way other artists might work in oils or clay. It was his true medium; a master."

Offline JDM1oc

« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2012, »
I like George's too.  I too am trying to find a good balance between value and resolution.  Truth be told, I am thinking of going to a 2811 based 60/m with a 682 controller to keep the sign a bit smaller since I am like 30' to the street, but I am clueless and not really wanting to go astray from RJ's gear. 

I'm using the E681 without any issues with about 400 GE Coloreffects lights I have on my roof line and yard outline.  I was concerned a bit at first, but it has proven to be a solid piece of hardware.  For a matrix where all of the strips/nodes will be right next to each other, it may actually be easier to use a 681 or 682 because they plug right into the board.  I do like RJ's SS gear better for flexibility it offers for element spread out in the yard.

Josh

Offline mitch09

LED Matrix with Flexstrips
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2012, »
Have you all looked here.