Author Topic: A stupid question  (Read 797 times)

Offline LondoB5

A stupid question
« on: May 06, 2012, »
Not to sound like an idiot, but what is the difference between smart and dumb RGB strings?
Am I correct in assuming that dumb RGB strings are all or nothing when it comes to on/off and R/G/B percentage. Or is there something else I am missing? Also, are the power requirements and prices different, etc?

Thanks. I know it's a stupid question, but when I put smart vs dumb in a search, I get tons of responses, but none seem to explain it.

Offline KeithTarpley

• Administrator
Re: A stupid question
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2012, »
Greetings,,,

Dumb strings have all the lights, "nodes", change to the same color at the same time.  Unlike older lights that just had one color.  So, one main controller has only one group of signals sent to all the nodes.  The R, G, and B signals are all the same at each node, and you don't have to have a separate intelligent controller at each node.  Just the basic RGB levels.

Smart strings have an intelligent part, a separate controller, at each RGB node.  So each is actually a separately controllable light, tied into a string with other separate lights.  All these lights receive a signal from the main controller connected into the smart string.  That controller is then able to turn all the lights on the string to the same color, or each light can do its own thing.  Each just happens to be connected to other lights on a string to make it easy to hang lights up, and not have a thousand wires having to go to each separate light.

Prices are of course higher when you have extra parts on the smart strings, but as things go on, prices come down when things are done in large quantities, like everything else.

You have to have a little extra power to put to the microchips in the smart strings, but you gain finer control of the output.

Keith

"Now I know the only foe is time." -Moody Blues

Offline LondoB5

Re: A stupid question
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2012, »
Thanks. That helps my understanding. I was missing the difference between common LED strings (unicolor)and RGB LED strings.