Author Topic: First Light  (Read 617 times)

Offline smeighan

• Patron Member
    • Nutcracker RGB Sequence Builder
First Light
« on: October 06, 2012, »
I received 20x120 flex strips from Ray this week. Yesterday i powered one of them up and used a LH2010 rgb tester i ordered from him to have some chases running. This is the first RGB device that i have seen powered on. I started Nutcracker in February and it was not until October that i got to see some LED's

This week i started assembling hardware.

I finished 2 active hubs, 1 passive hub
4 Lynx express
5 DSC

Working on etherdongle and modifying 34 v2 SSC's with my dremel.

I also built 20 14' long 1/2" EMT that i will attach the flex strips to. I drove a 3" long by 5/8" Oak dowel into the end of each pipe. I then screwed eye bolts into the dowel. I tested one by hanging 100lbs, hook worked. EMT pipes painted with Kilz and then exterior house paint. They are completely water tight . I will hang them from a hook at the top and use bungee cord to hold them straight at the bottom. I am making a 20 slot rack (like a gun rack), that is hinged and attached to my basement ceiling. This is where i will store them in the off season. It will also allow me to use them all year for nutcracker testing. It should end up looking like a Las vegas ceiling when done.

Still have not controlled a pixel from the computer yet, maybe next week.

have to take some time away from nutcracker so i actually have some lights for Christmas.

it should all be fine.

« Last Edit: October 06, 2012, by smeighan »
Sean
Littleton, CO
Latest releases You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
xLights/Nutcracker Forum You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Fbook You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline KeithTarpley

• Administrator
Re: First Light
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2012, »
Greetings,,,

You'll have to post ceiling pics when it's done.

Keith
"Now I know the only foe is time." -Moody Blues

Offline jnealand

• Patron Member
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2012, »
I also used 1/2" EMT but since I am only using 1/2 of a flexstrip per leg I cut them off at about 7.5 ft  Painted mine with rustoleum green paint and then smashed one end in a vice.  Drilled a hole in the smashed end and am hanging them on cup hooks screwed into my tree topper that I made a couple of years ago.  Seems to work ok.  I was trying to figure out the best way to close up the bottom of the pipe so now I will pick up some dowel and try that out.  The place I will put the tree outside will not be flat so I have to find a way to hold the flare at the bottom.  It is great fun having it set up in my screen room and playing with nutcracker effects live.  The only thing I haven't been able to do so far is to get my ED talking via the wireless connection.
Jim Nealand
Kennesaw, GA

Offline smeighan

• Patron Member
    • Nutcracker RGB Sequence Builder
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2012, »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I also used 1/2" EMT but since I am only using 1/2 of a flexstrip per leg I cut them off at about 7.5 ft  Painted mine with rustoleum green paint and then smashed one end in a vice.  Drilled a hole in the smashed end and am hanging them on cup hooks screwed into my tree topper that I made a couple of years ago.  Seems to work ok.  I was trying to figure out the best way to close up the bottom of the pipe so now I will pick up some dowel and try that out.  The place I will put the tree outside will not be flat so I have to find a way to hold the flare at the bottom.  It is great fun having it set up in my screen room and playing with nutcracker effects live.  The only thing I haven't been able to do so far is to get my ED talking via the wireless connection.

for the bottom of my tree i bent 3/4" emt into a half circle. i will drive 1/2" rebar into the ground and clamp the 20' long half circle a few inches above the ground. I then will use my bungee cord around this 1/2 circle on one end and the eye hooks that are in the dowels in the ends of my emt. since my tree is 18' off the ground , but the sides are 14', i have a few feet of bungee to provide the connection. it handles any variations on the ground.

glad the nutcracker effects are working for you.

why dont you try a project? Like christmas sarajevo (Only has 21 phrases). Just select effects you currently have , use the same one multiple times if you like. select an output vixen,lor,hls r lsp.

press button and see what it does. really starting to work well.

Sean
Littleton, CO
Latest releases You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
xLights/Nutcracker Forum You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Fbook You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login