Author Topic: DIY LED replacement for Ceiling Fan lights  (Read 1093 times)

Offline DennyMo

DIY LED replacement for Ceiling Fan lights
« on: November 17, 2011, »
I have 2 ceiling fans that eat light bulbs.  They have independent uplighting and downlighting, both of which are dimmable.  I'm getting tired of pulling out the ladder to replace bulbs 12 feet up in the air, would like to make/install something more durable than screw-in incandescent light bulbs.  DIY LED solution comes to mind, but I've got questions maybe you can help me with.

I haven't taken any measurements, but I assume the dimming is PWM 120VAC like the outputs on any of the Lynx/Renard/etc. controllers.  Is that a valid assumption?  If not, what tools do I need to measure the outputs and determine the output?

I think all I need to do is create a couple circuits that essentially duplicate a full-wave rectified light string and connect them to the dimming outputs from the fan's controller.  Does that sound reasonable/accurate?

The downlights are two 60-watt bulbs, and the uplights are three 15-watt bulbs.  Do you have any recommendations for type and number of warm-white LEDs to use for replacements?  The glass "globes" for the lights are what I would call "frosted and marbled", so the LED light should be well diffused.

Thanks.

Offline combustionmark

Re: DIY LED replacement for Ceiling Fan lights
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2011, »
I like the idea. My house eats incandescent lights. 5-6 a week.
Almost all are now Compact Fluorescent. Just look for the dimable ones, about twice the price. These last me about 1 year, And when they blow :o WOW

Not pwm but you have the idea. Use a good dvm and you should be OK.

I have tried the led lights on the market, warm just looks dim, and bright messes with color perception, day light just feels wrong. I would try a mix of colors bright white, warm white, day light, red, green, blue.

Try putting a string of 60 white leds in a frosted container, and try it out.

Just what I need, Another excuse to have blinkey out year round <la..

Have Fun
Have Fun!

Offline DennyMo

« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2011, »
CFL's won't fit my fan.  I've tried CFL's with mixed (mostly poor) results in other applications.  I'm done with them.

Also, I really want to get away from threaded bulbs, because that's one of the failure points.  Most of the bulbs I've replaced have been loosened by vibration from the fan.

I was planning to remove the sockets and solder their leads to my DIY boards populated with LEDs.  I have a bazillion red, green, and blue 5mm LEDs, so I could do my own color mixing.  Just undecided on whether to go that route or get a few different flavors of white LEDs to play with.

Offline rimist

« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2011, »
I'm interested in making the diy boards you use. I want to try this in my fans

- Rimist

Sent from my HTC Glacier using Tapatalk
- Rimist

Offline combustionmark

« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2011, »
There are plenty of instructions on the net on doing this, google diy 110 led.

Radio Shack has this You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Should be a fun project, I just wouldn't use a circuit with a capacitor, may cause a problem dimming.

Have Fun
« Last Edit: November 18, 2011, by combustionmark »
Have Fun!

Offline holland lights

• holland lights
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2011, »
If theres a way you can develope a board to supply 12 volts to a high power 10 watt or higher led that would work. Just gotta remember to heat sink it.

Offline wwwgator

• S.E. WI
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2011, »
Just a thought- for ceiling fans and other house hold fixtures

I have gone on many service calls to repair/replace light fixtures that "eat " lamps ( light bulbs).

Sometimes, the little metal tab in the center of the socket gets compressed, either due to larger than normal solder blobs on the base of a lamp or poor electrical contact ( heat/expansion/amperage).

WITH THE POWER OFF, gently pull up the tab and reinsert a new lamp.

It's worth a try before spending your hard earned $$$
I know nothing......and I prove it DAILY!!!

Getting crazy ideas and breaking stuff since 1977

Master Electrician/ Electrical Inspector/ Evil Genius (apprentice)