Author Topic: 3D projection mapping  (Read 1269 times)

Offline t.jo13

• Coop Manager
3D projection mapping
« on: April 13, 2012, »
I am adding 3D projection mapping to my displays this year and am curious if anyone else is. I am having trouble getting the proper backdrop in the layers that I want.

Offline kayjay

Re: 3D projection mapping
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2012, »
I too am about to tackle this project.  What software are you using?

Offline t.jo13

• Coop Manager
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2012, »
I use 4 different ones, I will post them when I get home

Joe

Offline mms

• Like us on Facebook for special content and year-round updates.
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2012, »
I was wondering when this was going to pop up on here.  Do you have to use special screens/projectors to do this?
Like us on Facebook for special content and year-round updates: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Voice-over Inquiries:  You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline t.jo13

• Coop Manager
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2012, »
I too am about to tackle this project.  What software are you using?

Tell me what direction you plan on going to help limit the software you my need

Offline t.jo13

• Coop Manager
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2012, »
I was wondering when this was going to pop up on here.  Do you have to use special screens/projectors to do this?

No screen Not with 3d mapping if done right, but the projector you use makes a big difference. I ended up buying three until I figured out what whas needed. One of the most important parts is the projector. If you dont, get the right lumins (game over Literally) that is why I ended up buying 3

Offline Mike Hill

• Here to learn
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2012, »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

No screen Not with 3d mapping if done right, but the projector you use makes a big difference. I ended up buying three until I figured out what whas needed. One of the most important parts is the projector. If you dont, get the right lumins (game over Literally) that is why I ended up buying 3

You are running three pojectors at once, or it took you three attempts to get the right one?
Which one(s) did you go with, if you don't mind me asking?
Mike Hill
First display date 11-2011
"Never explain your actions, your enemies don't believe it and your friends don't need it."

Offline LondoB5

« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2012, »
What kind of costs are we talking about? The last I looked into this, the projector alone was a few thousand.

Offline Mickpat

• Beta Tester
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2012, »
Check out You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login and You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login.  This would be so cool!  That would be 2,073,600 more channels to control.   >.d9

Offline meman

« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2012, »
I started collecting items to try and tackle some video projection this year. True mapping is my dream, but without $100K + worth of Barco projector and lenses I don't think I have much chance of punching through the darker brick portions on the exterior of my house. I've set my goals a bit lower and will try to get some masking done with 2700 lumens of output,  similar to what is in this video clip that made the rounds on "The Porch" earlier this year. Just need a lot of time and luck.

Projection "masking" on a shaped screen.
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Mike E.

Offline t.jo13

• Coop Manager
« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2012, »
You are running three pojectors at once, or it took you three attempts to get the right one?

It took three times. LOL The first one I went cheap, just a circle. The second one stiil not the right lumins or enough possible connections, and I bought a clearance model,  no returns. The the last one is 2500 lumins, and has just about any connection you would want and dmx too. It was about 700.00. Made by epson. MY model may be different than yours depending on where you place it. The throw ratio is the critical part.

Offline t.jo13

• Coop Manager
« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2012, »
What kind of costs are we talking about? The last I looked into this, the projector alone was a few thousand

You would be amazed at how cheap you can do it . If you search hard, You can get a really good quality projector for under 500.00  Software around 150.00 total . That is still alot of money but hooked to dmx  the options are endless. Software is the key after the projector, I use one to draw , one to annimate, one for mapping and one to edit movie clips. It all depends on what you want to do.

Offline t.jo13

• Coop Manager
« Reply #12 on: April 14, 2012, »
  I don't think I have much chance of punching through the darker brick portions on the exterior of my house.

That is where the software comes in , you can add layers that lighten the base ( House for example ) That is the question I started with this post I have the base I want, but the effect I want to add is giving me fits LOL

Offline meman

« Reply #13 on: April 14, 2012, »
I downloaded TextMachine a while back but haven't done much with it yet. What software are you using?

Mike E.