Author Topic: 3 pin connector wiring...  (Read 2569 times)

Offline taybrynn

• RockinChristmas
Re: 3 pin connector wiring...
« Reply #15 on: April 07, 2012, »
I wire each of my SSC(s) for a specific type of SS item ... then I label the SSC on the exterior with the R, G, B and what it corresponds to (+,0,data) ... and also label the type of SS node/module the SSC is to be used for.   

So I might have a SSC that says:
R, G, B
+, -, data

I'll also write the type of nodes I am expecting to plug into it.  By also writing the same r,g,b = +,-,data on the end of the SS item quick connect, I can ensure I am plugging in compatible items in the field.

I found that the quick connectors and the wire are also great for making "adapter cables" for converting between various SSC (s) and SS node/modules without having to re-wire anything.    I use a one of these cable to do the rewrite quickly for me. 

For me I always wire the connectors same color to same color (when attaching wire to quick connectors). 

If I make a cable into an adapter cable, I'll also label both ends ... so its clear what it does.  I might also leave enough of the wire exposed before the shrink to make visual clarification of the wiring possible.

I also found using a little terminal strip from Home Depot ... I could hook up a few nodes of each type to it, then hook up quick connectors to that ... then it made testing of SSC(s) against various items very easy to do ... without having to re-wire a lot of stuff.
Scott - Castle Rock, Colorado   [ 2 homes, 100% RGB in 2016; since 2008; over 32k channels of E1.31 ]
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline dpitts

• Restrictive
« Reply #16 on: April 07, 2012, »
I wire my SSC's and elements so I can plug any SSC into any element no matter what the color is. I then only depend on the key of the plugs to know if i have it correct.

Offline rm357

3 pin connector wiring...
« Reply #17 on: April 07, 2012, »
Ditto dpitts.

If you wire the SSCs differently, you are asking for trouble and limiting your flexibility.

I'm also prone to Murphy's law...

I also configure all of my SSCs for 128 nodes. It's not like the extra bits are going to damage anything or rupture the fabric of space... The only time that will cause problems is if your last channel on the SSC runs past 4096. The SSC will not update properly as it is waiting for the rest of the data...

RM
Robert
Warner Robins, Georgia, USA

Offline chrisatpsu

• ahhh, yes... my new blink-i-nator 3000!!!
« Reply #18 on: April 07, 2012, »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
The only time that will cause problems is if your last channel on the SSC runs past 4096. The SSC will not update properly as it is waiting for the rest of the data...

RM
i thought that was fixed with the right firmware being available to download?
To rule the entire tri-state area!  What's that? Perry the Platypus!!!