Hardware > Bobcat DMX Tester

Beta-Portable Wired/Wireless DMX Tester (See first post for specs and features)

(1/54) > >>

dlhoppe:
I'll be using the first post in this thread to place links, photos and such until we have them added to the wiki.

BOMs:

Main Tester Components: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Optional Wireless Tx: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Enclosures out of stock at Mouser. Here are alternative suppliers with stock:

Black, Gray or Almond:  You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Firmware:

DMX Tester.HEX = Tester PIC
DMX_TESTER_TX.hex = Ex/Rx firmware for Tx

Photos:

Rev1 Tester Mod.jpg = Mod required for Rev1 PCB (Beta Testing only)
ExRx For Tester.jpg = How to build for Tx  (please note that the PIC can still be installed in a socket rather than soldered directly)

Build Video:

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Current Feature List:

Dual Modes: Channel Selection or Dimmer Value with LED readout of value (slide switch)
Rotary Encoder: For dialing up or down the values
x10 multiplier: Increment/decrement value by 10 (encoder speed-sensing enabled, spin knob faster for x10 mode)
Dimmer Value Range: 0-255-PLS (PLS = pulse, see below)
Channel Value Range: 1..512.ALL.1..512.ALL...etc.  ("wrap-around" in both directions)
All Channel Dimming: Select "ALL" in channel mode to apply dimmer value to all 512 channels together
Portable: Battery operated (4AA alkaline or rechargeable batteries)
RJ45 Output: For Cat-5 cable connectivity (DMX)
Built-In Wireless Option: Uses a stripped down Ex/Rx as a Tx (with custom firmware from RJ)
Chase Simulation: Adjacent channels only (turn the encoder in channel mode)
Pulse Mode: In dimmer value mode, moving to one value higher than 255 will cause the current channel(s) to flash on and off (troubleshooting mode)
Low Battery Indicator: Right-most decimal place will flash when battery gets low
Low power consumption (24 hours of on-time in wireless mode, 40 hours of on-time in wired mode)

rrowan:
A member was working on a handheld tester but I don't believe he finished it.

RJ talked about one but I don't know if he ever got pass the talking part or other projects took priority over the tester

Sorry I can't give you a better answer

Rick R.

batdive:
I would love to have a wireless tester with some sort of strength meter especially.  Helps as next year our show is going to 6 houses total.

But I know RJ is busy with a lot of other things already.. LE CoOP soon SS coop.. etc

-JS

dlhoppe:
Ok, just for the fun of it I'm going to take a crack at prototyping a simple, portable DMX512 channel tester. I'll steal RJ's idea for a rotary encoder and LED readout using two "modes". One mode will allow the encoder to set the channel number, and the other will set the dimmer value for the currently selected channel. The mode values will be shown on a 3-digit LED. I'll use a simple toggle to switch between modes. Just for grins, I'll add an "ALL" value to the channel selector to allow dimming all 512 channels together. For now I'll stick with wired DMX. I figure I can easily pipe that into my Tx/Rx unit for wireless. I'll build the prototype with a 6v battery pack so I can share power via patch-cord with the Tx/Rx to keep everything portable.

My crude parts list totals just under $20 without case. I'm a software guy, so I may have to reach out for some help regarding the electronics. I'm sure my approach to circuit design will be a bit like a bull in a china shop.

I'll post my progress in this thread.

Jeffl:
Sounds interesting.  I'm watching.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version