Author Topic: retrofitting old landscape lighting fixtures with LEDs  (Read 742 times)

Offline ptone

So I have access to some nice copper landscape fixtures - with old rusted out electrics.  I'm wondering about retrofitting them with some sort of LED lighting.  I figure I should be able to use something mostly off the shelf.  Since folks here seem pretty in touch with options - I'm pinging y'all for ideas.  Currently thinking of using something like:

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

What do you think?

-P
--
budding channel wrangler

Offline tbone321

WAAAAY to expensive for my taste and that really doesn't solve your problem.  That is just the bulb and does nothing to repair / replace your rusted out electrics.  If you want to go LED, I would look at those inexpensive plastic LED lights and gut them for their parts to convert your existing lights and many of them are actually cheaper than the bulbs you have listed here.  Also remember that most incandecent landscape lights are running on 12VAC and these bulbs require 12VDC so you will need to add a rectifier capable of handeling the total load you put on it.  Also remember that the transformers that typically are used for this are unregulated and at low current draws are usually well above 12V.  You need to see if these bulbs deal well with excessive voltage or you will need to regulate as well as rectify the output of that transformer.
If at first you don't succeed,
your not cut out for sky diving

Offline RJ

• Administrator
They run on 12vdc - 16vdc  so I think these with  landscape transformer and a full bridge rectifier could do well. Give it a try. Make sure you convert the AC to DC.

RJ
Innovation beats imitation - and it's more satisfying