Author Topic: Firefox 8 not dowloading attachments properly  (Read 668 times)

Offline bcstuff

• Cape Coral, FL 33991
Firefox 8 not dowloading attachments properly
« on: November 14, 2011, »
This is for any of you early upgraders out there, if you are using Firefox 8, attachments on Simple Machine Forums (i.e. this site) are not downloading properly. This was driving me crazy. It will download the attachments as index.php.

You can use Internet Explorer and it will work properly

-or-

Download and save the attachments that are index.php and rename them with the proper file type.

For example if you download a zip file, change the name of the downloaded file index.php to index.zip and you will be able to open the file.
Another example if you download a pdf file, change the name of the of the downloaded file index.php to index.pdf and you will be able to view the file.

There is no official fix as of right now but for those of you who are interested, the bug report and a temp workaround for the forum administrator is located here:
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Here is the reason it is happening, this is a quote from a Mozilla support person:

We changed the handling of the content-disposition (attachments information) to be more compliant with the official webstandards (RFCs). We do not want to be the only browser who is having different rules for this. So it had to change anyway. According to the bugzilla report SM had a patch for this ready but forgot to add it to the latest update. So they are working on a fix.
-Brian
-------------
2017 - Complete makeover, let's just say it's gonna be a few pixels.

2016 - Grad School Stinks :(
2015 - 16' Megatree, 8' MidiTrees, 8' MegaWreath, 6' Snowflake Spinners, Zwilluminariesâ„¢

Our Display Videos: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline jnealand

• Patron Member
Re: Firefox 8 not dowloading attachments properly
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2011, »
I have been getting to many problems with FF since they switched to the rapid release schedule.  I've switched to Google Chrome and could not be happier.
Jim Nealand
Kennesaw, GA