Author Topic: When I grow up I want to...  (Read 3359 times)

Offline thestig

Re: When I grow up I want to...
« Reply #15 on: January 25, 2012, »
lol, Nice job title John. I am a respiratory therapist and diy junkie.

Offline twooly

• Blah
    • Todd Woolums
« Reply #16 on: January 25, 2012, »
x86 server administrator for a large national bank.  Play more a development role (package software/data collection/...misc tasks) .  My co-workers say I automate their jobs away.
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline n1ist

• Coop Manager
« Reply #17 on: January 25, 2012, »
Hardware and software engineer for a major lighting company; in the past, I worked for a test-equipment company designing testers for everything from laptop hard drives to black (actually green) boxes for fighter aircraft...

I'm also the only one here who doesn't put up Christmas lights...
/mike

Offline mkozik1

• Monroe, GA 30655
« Reply #18 on: January 25, 2012, »
I went to college for Theater/Lighting Design, and in 2006 I went on the road with a touring show as an Electrician/ lighting tech.  I traveled all around the world setting up, running, and fixing the show’s lighting/electrical systems.  I also got my Pyrotechnic incense.  I can tear apart a moving light and fix just about anything wrong with it. I learned a LOT about DMX, Artnet, and how a major show uses this to run the lighting rig.  It was an awesome experience, but in August of 2011 I left for another opportunity.  I now work at an entertainment lighting company based in Solon (Cleveland) Ohio.

My background in electronics, theater, entertainment lighting, and interest in anything that plugs in makes DLA a really fun place!

Hey LightingBoy - We need your expertise over in the Robo Light Thread!! You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
- Mark

Offline Slite

• Blinky Blinky Lights
« Reply #19 on: January 26, 2012, »
Product Maintenance Manager in HR support systems at one of the 2 coach/truck manufacturers in Sweden.

Basicly I make sure that the HR software is working as it is suposed to. Not so much by getting my own hands dirty as to function as an "airbag" bewteen the HR people and the techs :)

Good thing I carry the weight for my job (tho I could stand to loose a couple of pounds or 30)

But I grow up I want to win 20 million Euro on Lotto, quit working and just enjoy being with my wife, my dogs and build stuff!

/Stefan
Blinky Blinky Lights!

Offline derekbackus

« Reply #20 on: January 26, 2012, »
1) Started a software company selling a program called CMPQwk that was the predecessor to e-mail (dial-up Bulletin Board Systems)
2) Started an ISP that hosted websites and had a bank of 16 modems.

Both business above just kind of fizzled with new technologies came about.

3) Started a scale model making business about 10 years ago that is very successful building many different products for aerospace, trade shows, commercial products, etc. Currently 7 employees. You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

4) Started a sheet metal business that now has a 10' and 4' press brake and a turret punch. We have our own products and do contract sheet metal fabrication. Currently 7 employees, hiring 3 more as soon as we can. You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Derek

Offline bendala

« Reply #21 on: January 26, 2012, »
I have a degree in Computer Networks and Systems and I am currently a Network Engineer for a small company serving the North West Lower Peninsula of Michigan. We work mostly in factories and warehouses as well as healthcare buildings.
Andrew Bendall
Big Rapids, Michigan 49307
Can Program Pic's Upon Request

Offline smeighan

• Patron Member
    • Nutcracker RGB Sequence Builder
« Reply #22 on: January 26, 2012, »
Software.
11 years at Hughes Aircraft, 11 Years at Memorex/Unisys, 10 years at Sun Microsystems, 8 years at BEA systems/ oracle Corporation.
I programmed on the ASR-33 teletypes, Altair and Imsai micro computers, used Arpanet (predecessor to intenet), .etc.

My hobbies: PADI dive master in scuba diving, 1000 dives around the world. Semi-professional musician, play in 4 orchestras, Cub scouts. Have twin 10yo boys, EMT-1A paramedic, Captain of gymnastics team in college, built furniture, camping, model airplanes, World of Warcraft with my sons, very active at my Church, St Andrews Methodist of Highlands Ranch.

And now i am going to add DIY light animation.
I think  this is going to be fun ...
It does seem to be a vortex that can suck you into bigger and bigger displays, maybe i am misreading the threads.

thanks
Sean
Sean
Littleton, CO
Latest releases You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
xLights/Nutcracker Forum You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Fbook You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline rdebolt

• Patron Member
    • Christmas in Boise
« Reply #23 on: January 26, 2012, »
Software.
11 years at Hughes Aircraft, 11 Years at Memorex/Unisys, 10 years at Sun Microsystems, 8 years at BEA systems/ oracle Corporation.
I programmed on the ASR-33 teletypes, Altair and Imsai micro computers, used Arpanet (predecessor to intenet), .etc.

My hobbies: PADI dive master in scuba diving, 1000 dives around the world. Semi-professional musician, play in 4 orchestras, Cub scouts. Have twin 10yo boys, EMT-1A paramedic, Captain of gymnastics team in college, built furniture, camping, model airplanes, World of Warcraft with my sons, very active at my Church, St Andrews Methodist of Highlands Ranch.

And now i am going to add DIY light animation.
It does seem to be a vortex that can suck you into bigger and bigger displays, maybe i am misreading the threads.

thanks
Sean

Busy Man! I have twin boys too, or should I say men!  ::)

Offline craig d

« Reply #24 on: January 26, 2012, »
I put in 30 years wrenchin on a fleet of 50 school buses in Michigan. Talk about workin on some rusty old crap! State of Mi check buys my toys now. Retired , not ever going to grow up. Still like my fast toys. I didn't think I would spend this much time on a once a year display. I'm hooked. More lights and channels needed!  Craig

Offline comporder1

« Reply #25 on: January 26, 2012, »
I am an Electronics Technology program coordinator/instructor at a community college (8 years). I teach communications, microprocessor/microcontrollers, computer hardware, commercial/residential wiring, and electronics drafting (schematics, board layout/design, prototyping).

Before that I worked in the music industry- Retail/installations/repair (5 years) and digital repair tech at Peavey Electronics (4 years).

Carey

Offline grumpy2076

« Reply #26 on: January 26, 2012, »
i am a construction forman and have been in it  for ;8 years, hobbies well to many to list depends on what i want to being ding at the time, wife and kids say i will never grow up , i have way to many projects and not enough time  >.d9
Hey, it's like that old goat says: Rule 11: It's all just a game, so let loose and have fun with it! I mean, a casualty or two along the way is no big deal, right?

Offline SteveMaris

« Reply #27 on: January 26, 2012, »
I am a new home builder in my area. As the housing market crashed, I have been relegated to a landlord who does remodeling projects. (kitchens, baths, additions)

I have been a gear head since I was 15yrs. old, and my most recent restoration was a 1978 Bandit Pontiac Trans Am. I have been through many cars over the years, but plan on keeping this one. I envision my son pulling up to high school in 8 yrs. with it with Led Zeppelin playing on the stereo. LOL

My hobbies include Golfing, gardening,  in warm weather, and watching football and Christmas lights in cold weather. I am married with two boys, 6 and 3.

Offline rimist

« Reply #28 on: January 26, 2012, »
Yes, it is fun. No, you are not misreading. Pretty much we universally agree that we are all addicts of blinky flashy, and never want that to change!
- Rimist

Offline loveroflife96

• Coop Manager
  • Brandon Christmas 2010
    • My Christmas Display Website
« Reply #29 on: January 26, 2012, »
15+years of retail management....So, have to start VERY early because both my work and my hobby (DLA) seem to ramp up at the same time for some reason.  I've learned that I need the Christmas display because it causes people to remember the real reason for the season.  It seems at work, most people are upset we can't get what they want, when they want, for the price they want.  Maybe someday I'll make the leap into HR (What my MBA is in), but for now, the wonderful people that patronize my store help me to support my DLA addiction!

Thanks!!  Duane