Author Topic: Best setup to reduce lag.  (Read 702 times)

Offline lboucher

• Boucher Family Lights
Best setup to reduce lag.
« on: December 11, 2012, »
Hi All

Been a while since I have been active in the hobby, but I am about to ramp up for 2013.
I was wondering if anyone knows whats the best setup to reduce the lag I see in the Smart Strings.
I Really can just stand there and watch random lag on my 5 strings, not all the time and no one else notices, but it just doesn't look right to me. (sometimes, not always)
Currently I have a USB to RS232 connection that runs my customer hardware. (Renard Plugin)
In addition I have Pixelnet plugin running a couple lynx boards and the smart strings.
I'm really not sure, nor do I have the hardware to really determine where the issue is.
Vixen, Laptop, Control Hardware, Plugin Combination..... Etc...

Would a etherdongle board help?
I would think a conducter would, but then I would need to abandon my custom boards that run off of Renard...
(Not a bad idea, but, costly...)

Any other thoughts?
Been browsing around, but its been so long, I feel I have missed years of info.

Thanks
Boucher Family Lights
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline zwiller

Re: Best setup to reduce lag.
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2012, »
I am slightly less techie my can attest to the fact the etherdongle (ED) was a noticeable improvement for me.  Sounds to me like you are running vixen with pixelnet dongle.  IIRC you should be able to run both plugins so no need to abandon you custom gear to use ED.  Good luck in 2013!
Sam, who is happy he flashed his etherdongle with newest firmware!

"Now, I had heard that word at least ten times a day from my old man. He worked in profanity the way other artists might work in oils or clay. It was his true medium; a master."