Author Topic: Pixel net and LOR S3  (Read 701 times)

Offline MazdaFan

• Sardinia, Indiana
Pixel net and LOR S3
« on: December 21, 2012, »
Hello all.
   I'm not sure that I'm putting this in the right place, but since the SSC's use pixnet I figured that this would be a good place to start.

I'm converting some of my lighting to utilize the Smart String Controllers and pixel net next year.  I'm using LOR's S3 software suite (deluxe/advanced/whatever) to do the sequencing as I'm more familiar with it and would like to stick with it as opposed to switching to Vixen, et al.

The problem that I'm running in to is that when I start adding DMX universes and converting them to RGB channels is that it takes a LONG TIME to do all the conversions.  As I understand it, Pixnet basically uses 8 DMX universes (the first reserved for actual DMX if  you so desire) as a Pixnet universe, and it is capable of transmitting 4 Pixnet universes through one Ethernet Dongle... thats 32 DMX universes (should you choose to use them all) loaded into LOR S3.  When you start converting to RGB channels (S3 is nice enough to have an option to do this for you) when you get into the second universe (or third, or fourth) it really starts dragging.  Being a "lazy" guy, I'm thinking there ought to be a better way to do this.

I thought that I could put together a small program (I'm proficient in using Delphi, which is pretty good at text manipulation) to enter the configuration that I want and basically "import" the resulting config file into LOR.

So, my question is... (finally)  Has anyone hacked the LOR .xml files to figure exactly how its pieced together?  I've saved a few example light configurations and examined them with notepad.  I notice that the "saved index", while sequential, has no relationship (other than order) to the way its displayed in LOR.

<channel name="DMX 1.5" color="12615744" deviceType="DMX Universe" circuit="5" network="1" savedIndex="0"/>

Needless to say, DMX 1.5 is NOT the first one listed in the LOR S3 sequence editor... Other than that, it looks fairly simple to piece together a config file, and perhaps even a sequence (kind of like nutcracker, but sitting on my computer instead of over the net).  The color also is puzzling to me... the 12515744 comes out to C08040 in hex... but I can't seem to convert that to a recognizeable (in LOR) color...

Soooooo.. if you've done some hacking into the LOR .lcc files, or even just have an opinion, I'd love to hear it at this point. 

Thanks so much.
Jamie Tomlinson
Sardinia, Indiana
--
When you can keep your head when all others are losing theirs,
you clearly don't understand the problem!

Offline JonB256

• My website
Re: Pixel net and LOR S3
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2012, »
I don't remember noticing it taking that long, but even if it did, you only have to do it once, then save that layout under Edit/Export.

Yes, you can get 32 universes from an Etherdongle. I configured for 8 of them on my ED but only use 5 of them.
Initially, I configure for all 32, but noticed that I was outputting Multicast network traffic for those 24 unused universes even though they had nothing on them.