Author Topic: Pixel Color Temperature Caution  (Read 716 times)

Offline MrChristmas2000

Pixel Color Temperature Caution
« on: August 30, 2012, »
If you ordered and used Ray's pixel strings for you display last year and have purchased some more strings this year you need to lay them out side by side and check the color temperature of the white blend and the blue.

I purchased enought pixels last year to build a 16 string x 80 pixel mega tree. I decided to add 8 more strings to it for this year. I spend hours fixing all the strings to be evenly spaced on my tree. I then laid them out and during some testing have discovered that the blue leds in the 2 different set's of strings are different. The ones from last year was fairly close to white as could be expected, then strings that were ordered earlier this year has a different blue color temperature creating a much cooler (bluish) white light output. Laying side by side the color temperature difference is very discernable. It's going to present a challenge to blend these new strings in so they are not so obvious to the viewer. My plans at this point is to insert these strings every 3rd string.

My other thought was to put them all on the back of the tree so perhaps they are not quite as noticible. I haven't quite decided yet.

I hope this is some help to those that have perhaps ordered and received their shipment but have not noticed the difference yet.

I would also if I already have some pixels but have not placed additional orders yet to discuss this with Ray.

Yes I will be filing my complaint with him as I ponder my next order.

Offline keitha43

Re: Pixel Color Temperature Caution
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2012, »
On my old original order from the first batch that were not very waterproof, the white was what I would call a "warm white". The ip68 waterresistant version are what I would call "cool white". The purple/magenta is also radically different. It is not as noticeable in the other colors especially the primary colors. Luckily most of mine are the newer ip68 so I only have a few sections of the older nodes. But it does make me worry as if the ip68's survive the rainstorms this year I planned on converting my house to RGB to match my megatree and I am afraid there could be color diffeences.