Author Topic: Reset LE?  (Read 1306 times)

Offline zman

• Woodinville Wonderland
Reset LE?
« on: December 07, 2010, »
Is there a way to reset and LE? I know LOR has this feature. It is the first line of defense for troubleshooting. Thanks.
I have the CLAP - Christmas Light Addiction Problem - Do you?
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
LOR - Lynx - Sandevice - J1Sys - Madrix - Advatek
~ Christmas is not a time, it's a state of mind ~

Offline rrowan

• Administrator
Re: Reset LE?
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2010, »
I guess I don't understand what you are asking for

Ver5 has a reset button or just unplug and replug in the older versions

Rick R.
Light Animation Hobby - Having fun and Learning at the same time. (21st member of DLA)
Warning SOME assembly required

Offline zman

• Woodinville Wonderland
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2010, »
Rick,

There is another thread about channels that are stuck on, I read it. I have seen where the LEs I have, a channel will get stuck on, and where it appears to be the  triac at first (remove the isolator and channel still remains on) after a while it turns off and behaves normally. I have had 2 instances of this already, and another today.

In troubleshooting one LE, I literally change the Tx/Rx module and the problem went away, as soon as I put the other module in place the channel remained on again.

Again, this is a gremlin, learing curve issue for me with LEs and just wondering if there was a complete reset, I guess that would include the wireless as well.
I have the CLAP - Christmas Light Addiction Problem - Do you?
LOR - Lynx - Sandevice - J1Sys - Madrix - Advatek
~ Christmas is not a time, it's a state of mind ~

Offline basis21b

« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2010, »
I'm not exactly sure of the specific details of how the LOR reset works but I am guessing it has default profile in the PIC that gets reloaded.  Address information, any stored sequences or settings indicating max or min intensity would be reset to "factory defaults".  In the case of the LE a similar thing could be done by erasing and reloading the firmware on the PIC.
Tom B

Offline rrowan

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2010, »
Hi Guys

The following is just my opinion and I could be totally wrong.

Rant on:

Quickly saying the triac is stuck on or the controller is bad without fully understanding whats going on is silly. I equal this to saying the engine is broken when there is no gas in the gas tank. I read the post that said after the show was done all lights were out but later that night one channel was on. So assumption was the triac was bad. Lets look how DMX works, first there is no error correction, its not needed, its not design for any life safety devices, just light control so there will be on occasions when bad data will be sent. So how can a channel all of the sudden come on? Well one thing I think cuold happen, windows did some check for com port status it was perfect timing to send data to the dongle - the dongle sees a change and figures a value was change and sends it out. The controller sees the change and turns on one channel. Is this the controller or triac at fault? Nope its doing what it was told. Now how about during a show, well it could be a dongle issue or more likely something between the dongle and controller. Example, I have a ver 1 splitter, I know it causes a problem because it effects the ssr4-dmx. To reduce the effects, I put a LE, dmx out 2 between the splitter and ssr4-dmx. Recently it was discovered that the wireless with leds on it was over stressing the transformer with shaky power conditions. Was it the ssr4-dmx or triac to blame, Nope it was a LED drawing too much current. So to say the LE needs a total reset or there is a problem with a triac this is rarely the problem. There is normally something else causing the problem (DMX protocal, etc) There is thousands upon thousands of LE's out there and a very large percent of them with no problems. So the design is solid, a lot of the problems I see come down to assembly issue, soldering, part placement, wrong part, bad load of firmware, part over heated causing premature failure, etc.

So what am I saying. Lets fix some of the real problems first and understand DMX will on occasion do something weird before we try to fix what is not broken. This is in no way picking on any member or even related to this topic.

rant off

Rick R.
Light Animation Hobby - Having fun and Learning at the same time. (21st member of DLA)
Warning SOME assembly required

Offline RJ

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2010, »
Pulling the plug and pluging it back in will reset all of the LE even the EX/RX.  It could be something telling the channel to be on is the led for the channel on when it is "Stuck on" If so then it is an control issue. If it is not then it might be a hardware issue. I have not had a triac fail then work and then fail but I have heard of people having that happen. One user said he was running a traic right close to the limit andhad this until he added a heatsink to it. This was on SSR4. 

RJ
Innovation beats imitation - and it's more satisfying