Author Topic: Pickit 3 Clones From eBay  (Read 2146 times)

Offline NewfieGuy

Pickit 3 Clones From eBay
« on: November 13, 2012, »
Good day,

Has anyone used the Pickit 3 clones from eBay?  If so are they any good and which ones do you recommend from this list:

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

With it comes to programming the chips for RJ's boards do I just need the Pickit itself or do I need a full kit?  Any advice is appreciated. :-)

Thanks,
Shannon

Offline chrisatpsu

• ahhh, yes... my new blink-i-nator 3000!!!
Re: Pickit 3 Clones From eBay
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2012, »
you're gambling with a clone.
it might not support the newer PIC's (like in the etherdongle)

it might not have the support that Microchip has for a genuine part.

compared to the money spent on the lights and controllers, the pickit3 isn't expensive at all

you only need adapters for boards that don't have the 6pin header on them. (ssr4, mr16, freestyle, USB Dongle)

if you're sticking with newer stuff (express, etherdongle, smart strings, dumb strings) then you don't need the adapter boards.
To rule the entire tri-state area!  What's that? Perry the Platypus!!!

Offline NewfieGuy

« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2012, »
Thanks!  Yeah, I'm planning on sticking with just the new stuff (EtherDongle, Express, Wireless boards, and possibly a conductor or two later).

I see most people here are recommending buying from J1sys on eBay so I'll probably just see about getting one from them.  In mean-time I can always have a member listed in the Wiki to program it for me. :-)

Thanks again,
Shannon

Offline injury

« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2012, »
I have the black clone (or clone of that black clone since it doesn't have the Sure logo on it) it works fine with the etherdongle. The universal pic adapter's documentation might as well be a laffy taffy wrapper for all the good it is which was the only disappointment I had with the purchase. I would have been less disappointed if they had just left that piece of paper out heh.

But I also was confident in my technical knowledge and was under strict budget orders when I purchased it. Updates from Microchip work just fine with it as far as programming my ED and SSC's go.

All things being equal if budget permits and if I were of a different technical aptitude I'd go with the name brand one.

Offline MrChristmas2000

« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2012, »
I have the pic clone and it hasn't ever failed to program any of the pics used so far.

Offline NewfieGuy

« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2012, »
Thanks!  I have a very strick budget as well.  Glad to see they work.  :-)

Shannon

Offline NewfieGuy

« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2012, »
I have a question.  Chris indicated above that no adapter is needed for the express but the wiki indicates that the ISCP 28 is needed.  Is this needed? Or is it just for older versions of Lynx Express?

Thanks,
Shannon

Offline rrowan

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2012, »
I have a question.  Chris indicated above that no adapter is needed for the express but the wiki indicates that the ISCP 28 is needed.  Is this needed? Or is it just for older versions of Lynx Express?

Thanks,
Shannon

Its not needed but it can be an option. I put the what each pic is for each board then another member decided it was a good idea to add the link in. I wan't in favor of it but let it stay.

Rick R.
Light Animation Hobby - Having fun and Learning at the same time. (21st member of DLA)
Warning SOME assembly required

Offline chrisatpsu

• ahhh, yes... my new blink-i-nator 3000!!!
« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2012, »
some people like to program their pics on an adapter board, or even do so if they suspect they're having issues programming while on the express, so it is possible to do both.
To rule the entire tri-state area!  What's that? Perry the Platypus!!!

Offline NewfieGuy

« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2012, »
Ok. Thanks for the info. 

Shannon