Author Topic: Best cord length for Lynx Express  (Read 6825 times)

Offline Kwajtony

Re: Best cord length for Lynx Express
« Reply #15 on: July 07, 2010, »
I bought these because I felt it was the best length for all around use.
R,
Tony "C"

Offline Christmasaddict

« Reply #16 on: July 31, 2010, »
So do most LE users just buy the indoor cords and cut off the male end??  That seems to be the least expensive way to go especially if you don't need a grounded cord.

Offline rrowan

• Administrator
« Reply #17 on: August 01, 2010, »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
So do most LE users just buy the indoor cords and cut off the male end??  That seems to be the least expensive way to go especially if you don't need a grounded cord.

Yup that is what I have been doing /  using for the past two years. I have yet to see a strings of lights with a ground wire.

Cheers

Rick R.
Light Animation Hobby - Having fun and Learning at the same time. (21st member of DLA)
Warning SOME assembly required

Offline tpctech

« Reply #18 on: August 01, 2010, »
I have 0 ft cords for the outputs and 6ft tails for the input.

I do my boxes a little different!  I am using a 12x12x6 PVC j-box.  I mount 8 duplex recps on the box along with 2 GFCI's.  The box has 2 6ft 14-3 power input tails.  I have installed a over-sized cover as a drip edge to allow the rain and snow to run off.  I have had very little trouble with GFCI trips using this method.  The boxes are placed right on the ground.  The snow will pile on it and tends to melt around the edges.  I leave the power on to the boxes 24/7.  With this years LE I plan on extending the DMX "LINK" LED out to the connection plate like I have done in the past on my LOR boxes.  I use a standard 2 pin header like the terminate one in place of the LED.  I then use a rescued header pig-tail from an old computer to plug into this and solder the leads to the LED.  See pictures for more details.  Most of these pictures were taken at the ICE Mini in Indianapolis a few weeks a go.  Notice the cool Lynx apparel!!

KEN

Offline tpctech

« Reply #19 on: August 01, 2010, »
I have 0 ft cords for the outputs and 6ft tails for the input.

I do my boxes a little different!  I am using a 12x12x6 PVC j-box.  I mount 8 duplex recps on the box along with 2 GFCI's.  The box has 2 6ft 14-3 power input tails.  I have installed a over-sized cover as a drip edge to allow the rain and snow to run off.  I have had very little trouble with GFCI trips using this method.  The boxes are placed right on the ground.  The snow will pile on it and tends to melt around the edges.  I leave the power on to the boxes 24/7.  With this years LE I plan on extending the DMX "LINK" LED out to the connection plate like I have done in the past on my LOR boxes.  I use a standard 2 pin header like the terminate one in place of the LED.  I then use a rescued header pig-tail from an old computer to plug into this and solder the leads to the LED.  See pictures for more details.  Most of these pictures were taken at the ICE Mini in Indianapolis a few weeks a go.  Notice the cool Lynx apparel!!

KEN

A few more pictures

KEN

Offline tbone321

« Reply #20 on: August 01, 2010, »
I like your idea of using seperate GFCI's for each channel of each box.  It gives the protection as well as making it easier to find a problem when one keeps tripping.  They also make ones that mount in outlet locations but do not have the outlets on them, just the set and test buttons. I am using one of that type on my deck light system.  They are the same price as the outlet ones and if you are not using the outlet portion then you may want to consider using the non outlet type as they have much less chance of tripping due to water getting in them.
If at first you don't succeed,
your not cut out for sky diving

Offline Jeffl

• Just remember. Wireless is nice. Copper is king!
    • Christmas In Brandon
« Reply #21 on: August 01, 2010, »
I purchased the 2' 16/3 extension cords from mono price.  I''l post a picture in a couple weeks when I get one done.  They are more work but will look professional and have a, for the most part, un-necessary ground.

Offline tpctech

« Reply #22 on: August 01, 2010, »
I like your idea of using seperate GFCI's for each channel of each box.  It gives the protection as well as making it easier to find a problem when one keeps tripping.  They also make ones that mount in outlet locations but do not have the outlets on them, just the set and test buttons. I am using one of that type on my deck light system.  They are the same price as the outlet ones and if you are not using the outlet portion then you may want to consider using the non outlet type as they have much less chance of tripping due to water getting in them.

I looked at those but could not get enough when I was ready to build!  As it works out the extra outlets come in handy to power constant power needs like blow up fans, LED power supplies, LCD sign ect.  I also "loop" the input feed on some of my boxes to use a single power feed like for my Arches.

KEN

Offline bisquit476

• Patron Member
« Reply #23 on: August 02, 2010, »
Ken (tpctech), very nice box build. My compliments  <res.

Bill

Offline magic8192

« Reply #24 on: August 03, 2010, »
my only complaint about the cool tcptech box is the price of the pvc box.  Seems more expensive than everything in the box.

Offline Kwajtony

« Reply #25 on: August 04, 2010, »
I have the 2' cords for my controllers.
R,
Tony "C"

Offline Christmasaddict

« Reply #26 on: August 05, 2010, »
So we've determined what people are doing for the output cords but what about the 2 power inputs?  I am leaning toward making up my own with bulk wire and a male plug.  To buy a large gauge extension cord is several dollars and it seems more cost effective to go the other route.

Offline Jeffl

• Just remember. Wireless is nice. Copper is king!
    • Christmas In Brandon
« Reply #27 on: August 05, 2010, »
I'm using the same 2' cords using the other end.  They are 13  amp rated I think.  I doubt I will ever push near that much.    The rest of the male ends will be used for rope light power cords or what ever else I need them for. 

If you think about it you can use the female end for controllers and the male end for other projects.  What a bargain and a good way to recycle.

Offline meman

« Reply #28 on: August 05, 2010, »
Same here....just used a male waste end.  I really think it depends on how your LE is being used. Most everything I have is LED, so there really no concerns with drawing a lot of amps and having my power cords melt (like I used to have with incandescent's). I just went with the cheap 79  cent cords from Lowes. Co-op LE's, blue ridge cases & cheap cords got me down to around $5.10 per channel. Now I can buy a lot more lights  ;D

Here's a pic of what they look like. 

Offline Christmasaddict

« Reply #29 on: August 05, 2010, »
Thanks for the picture.  What are you and others doing as far as "strain relief" to keep the cords from pulling on the PCB?  It looks like you are using those romex clamps designed for where 12/2 or 14/2 wire goes into a box.  Am I correct?