Author Topic: Best cord length for Lynx Express  (Read 6823 times)

Offline Caliente Christmas

Re: Best cord length for Lynx Express
« Reply #30 on: August 06, 2010, »
This what I did, 
I know a tech who has allot of cables so i asked if i could have them. 
The outlet were 10 for 3.49. each outlet i had to break the bridge to make the plug a single unit. bought them at lowes
The boxes were purchased from Habit for Humanity. at 1.90 per box need two per unit.
The only thing i need is the covers which i think i can picked them up at the swap meet.

So far i spend per channel .412 cents per connection. 
Having someone who has power cables helped out.

Offline PJNMCT

• Patron Member
« Reply #31 on: August 06, 2010, »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Thanks for the picture.  What are you and others doing as far as "strain relief" to keep the cords from pulling on the PCB?  It looks like you are using those romex clamps designed for where 12/2 or 14/2 wire goes into a box.  Am I correct?

I just tie wrap the cables to each other where they overlap inside the box before they connect to the terminal blocks. Actually, that's how I carry them out to the yard and back in when the show is done. Never had any problems with the heat in Florida either...for those that may be wondering about tie wrapping multiple current carrying conductors together.

I guess I should clarify that I am using zip cord for all my channels.

Seems to work just fine.

-Paul
Leesburg, FL

Offline meman

« Reply #32 on: August 07, 2010, »
I just bend the wire a bit as I insert it into the terminal block and it creates a little hump of slack before exiting the case. Then a larger size tire wrap around each bundle of four wires just inside the case. The larger head on the tie wrap keeps it from pulling through the weather seal/hole. I also put a tie wrap around each bundle just as it exits the case to keep individual wires from pulling sideways and wearing out the foam seal. For the power cords, I just tie the cord in a knot inside the case.
Only time will tell how well it holds up.

Mike E.

Offline Jeffl

• Just remember. Wireless is nice. Copper is king!
    • Christmas In Brandon
« Reply #33 on: August 07, 2010, »
Here is my first LE using the 2' cords, and cords for the next 6LE's and two LOR units.

For the grounding post I used a #10 screw and ring terminals from this seller on eBay.  I know they're not necessary but they look good and it's grounded.

« Last Edit: August 07, 2010, by Jeffl »

Offline dmaccole

• PacificaLights.info
« Reply #34 on: August 07, 2010, »
Here is my first LE using the 2' cords, and cords for the next 6LE's and two LOR units.

Jeff:

Where did you get the cords?

\dmc

Offline Jeffl

• Christmas In Brandon
« Reply #35 on: August 07, 2010, »
Here you go.  They also have other lengths if you want longer cords.  I just found that shorter cords make them easier to deal with.

Offline Jeffl

• Christmas In Brandon
« Reply #36 on: August 07, 2010, »
Here is the left overs form my first cord expedition.  The first is all the left over male ends and some extensions from a previous LOR build.  I plan to use these male ends  for rope light ends and for other projects where  I would normally use vampire plugs.  I figure it's like saving 50 cents instead of throwing them away.  It also makes the power cords seam cheaper.

The second photo is what I used for power cords.  I pieced a male end and a piece from a left over LOR build, added some heat shrink and I have power cords.  This was mostly just a recycling effort.

Offline Christmasaddict

« Reply #37 on: August 07, 2010, »
Thanks for the ideas.  I decided to use the little square "mounting bases" for cable ties.  These are peel and stick.  I put one just inside each hole that I was going to use.  I put 4 output cables/hole and used a cable tie to wrap around the wires and through the mounting base.  Once I snugged it up good I think it will do a good job of keeping the strain off the connectors on the circuit board.

Offline Jeffl

• Christmas In Brandon
« Reply #38 on: August 09, 2010, »
Any chance you could upload a picture?

Offline Christmasaddict

« Reply #39 on: August 09, 2010, »
I would be glad to upload a picture but it will be a couple of days before I am back home and able to get it done.  I will try to do on Thursday or Friday.

Offline bisquit476

• Patron Member
« Reply #40 on: August 09, 2010, »
I plan to use these male ends  for rope light ends and for other projects where  I would normally use vampire plugs.  I figure it's like saving 50 cents instead of throwing them away.  It also makes the power cords seam cheaper.

Damn good idea, didn't think of it before, thank you,

Bill

Offline Jeffl

• Christmas In Brandon
« Reply #41 on: August 09, 2010, »
I hope to get some pictures of the rope light on a 3D star Dad and I built with the ends.  My assortment of heat shrink just arrived so I can get busy or more busy.

Offline Christmasaddict

« Reply #42 on: August 12, 2010, »
Here are 2 pictures per request from my earlier post regarding using mounting bases and cable ties for strain relief.