Author Topic: How many is too many  (Read 1547 times)

Offline ratroder

How many is too many
« on: August 17, 2010, »
Does anyone know how many sets of 100 count incandescent ( not led ) lights a lynx express v5 can handle total ( across all 16 channels ( total ))?   <fp.  I did put heat-sink compound between the transistors and the heat-sink.    ???  <fp.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2010, by ratroder »

Offline magic8192

Re: How many is too many
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2010, »
1 had strings of 12 100 count mini lights hooked up with no problem.  I think some people have more, but that is probably above the recommended max of 4 amps per channel. 

Offline magic8192

« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2010, »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Does anyone know how many sets of 100 count incandescent ( not led ) lights a lynx express v5 can handle total ( across all 16 channels ( total ))?   <fp.  I did put heat-sink compound between the transistors and the heat-sink.    ???  <fp.

You will want to stay under 40 amps total across all channels.  so somewhere between 7 and 8 strings per channel.  I usually mix channels with lots of lights with channels with a few lights to balance out the controllers.   I make a spread sheet in excel to keep track of it and make sure everything is balanced out.    Check out Holdmans spread sheet for some ideas.  http://www.holdman.com/christmas/projects.asp

edit:  I balance out each side (1-8) and (9-16)to under 20 amps and that keeps me under 40 amps total.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2010, by magic8192 »

Offline magic8192

« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2010, »
Another good idea is to get a kill a watt meter to see the actual load on a channel/controller
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline ratroder

« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2010, »
I just wanted to get a figure of where to stop. My Colums and mega tree both have 4 sets per channel. I didn't think that I was gona have a problem but just wanted to make sure.

Offline RJ

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2010, »
Three sets is about 1 amp so 12 set per channel as long as you stay under 40 amp total and you do not leave the heatsink off.

RJ
Innovation beats imitation - and it's more satisfying