Author Topic: Question about assembled Express  (Read 1516 times)

Offline IndianaChristmas

• Patron Member
Question about assembled Express
« on: August 21, 2010, »
I just finished assembling an express from the last coop (#4).
It tests out OK using the onboard testing.
I plug in DMX from a working dongle (tested on previously built boards), the data light turns on.
When in Vixen and use the test channels feature I can't get any blinky.  I believe the start channel on the controller is 1 but to just make sure, I selected to test all 512 channels and still no blinky.
Previously built boards work normally using the same testing procedure and dongle.
Any ideas to my issue?

Thanks,
Eric

Offline RJ

• Administrator
Re: Question about assembled Express
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2010, »
First question,  Why do you not know what channel it is on since it has an led display to show you?

Is the remove for wireless jumper in place on the pins?

If it is can you post clear close up pictures of front and back to see?

RJ
Innovation beats imitation - and it's more satisfying

Offline IndianaChristmas

• Patron Member
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2010, »
RJ,
I toyed with this for an hour before posting a message about my problem.  Put it away after making post, read your input...changed nothing and retested - got blinky.  Kinda makes me worried about my soldering work :(.
I'm realy sorry but do appreciate  your input and time.  If the issue comes back up again, Ill be sure to post pics!
Thanks,
Eric

Offline RJ

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2010, »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
RJ,
I toyed with this for an hour before posting a message about my problem.  Put it away after making post, read your input...changed nothing and retested - got blinky.  Kinda makes me worried about my soldering work :(.
I'm realy sorry but do appreciate  your input and time.  If the issue comes back up again, Ill be sure to post pics!
Thanks,
Eric

Please do not apploigize that is what we are here for. It is my sincere hope that everyone that wants to can be successful at Do it yourselfing their light animation projects.
If you question your soldering then I would ask you this, Are you using you iron with it hot enough or are you worrying about burning up parts. If the latter than turn up your iron. If your iron is hot enough :

1 - you will not put too much on because you want have time!
2 - you will have a hard time getting a cold joint because about the time the solder flows it will be at temp fast enough you can't get off the joint too soon.

New people to soldering run the temp too cold, then sit playing with it waiting on it to flow good, this temps them to add more solder, mean while the part has had time to heat up internally so it is get overheated.

If you do not want to overheat the parts turn you soldering Iron hotter. I know sounds backwards but you are better to add 30 deg C more heat to a part for half the time because it takes time for the heat to move in to the part and even when you get the inside hot it takes time to damage it.  If you spend more than 1 second on a small parts joint you have to look at why? It must be either dirty or your notmaking good contact ( clean your tip ) or your iron is too cold.   

If you use a digital soldering station and it is accurate you should be about 360 deg C on most stuff. And I use 390 deg C on large items like triacs.
remember RJ's rules to soldering. ....  Clean , Hot, Small amount, don't stay long.  Do that and you will never have a joint that turns out bad.

hope this some how helps you.

RJ
Innovation beats imitation - and it's more satisfying

Offline Jeffl

• Just remember. Wireless is nice. Copper is king!
    • Christmas In Brandon
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2010, »
360c and 390c.  I have been soldering a little to hot.  I'll try to remember that. 

As others will confirm, a solder pencil will work, but a solder station really makes soldering these boards enjoyable, and not work.