Author Topic: Where to start....  (Read 1369 times)

Offline mo001

Where to start....
« on: December 30, 2009, »
Ok, I am new here, and to the light animation world.  I am excited about getting started, but I am on a budget and need to start small.  I plan on getting in on the coop, and am wondering what else do I need to get a show up and running.  I know I need a computer, with software.  Got that.  I am planning on ordering at least 2 LE's, what does the wireless do?  Do I need a dongle?  Starting from scratch is exciting, building from ground up.  Thank you in advance.  I am so ready to build!!
I'm ready to build

Offline wbuehler

• Administrator
  • Dont' that poster look dusty?
Re: Where to start....
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2009, »
Welcome

1.  You will need a dongle no matter if you use wireless or not.  For Dongles I can only recommend two: A. Lynx Dongle (PM RJ to get a PCB) Parts list is in the Wiki.  The parts can be ordered from Mouser. B.  Entec Pro (This is a commercial Dongle that can be purchased from Entec)

2.  You will need cases for the your LE's.  They can be purchases from yourbroadbandstore.com You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

3.  You will need power cords to power the LE and power cords to hook light strings up to the LE.  A lot of users will buy Lamp cords from places like Lowes, or you can buy Zip Cord with Vampire Plugs.

Wireless give you the freedom to place controllers in your display without having to run cat 5 cable to another controller or back to the Dongle.

Offline mo001

« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2009, »
Thanks for the information... it is a great help.  Now I just need to get my ducks in a row so to speak and start buying.  This is very exciting, this site is great, and all the people are very involved and helpful.
I'm ready to build

Offline magic8192

« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2009, »
You need some lights too.  This is the time to get deals on lights.

Offline wbbb1

« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2009, »

You can order you power cords from here: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

You'll need 16, cut in the middle for you 16 female and 2 male cords at $1.04 each that cheaper than 60 cents for the Zip male and 60 cents for the Zip female. The mono extension cords make it look professional.

This site had many extension cords, make sure you order the right female.

Offline castortiu

« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2009, »
For the power cords I bought 6ft extension cords from home depot, $0.94 each.

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

I think is a good deal since I split them in two and I have the power cord for my custom made trees, and I have the other end that supports 3-outlet connected to the LE.

Gus.

Offline mschell

• Christmas in Applegate
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2009, »
Put things in a priority order.

You definitely need a dongle or the DMX USB PRO.

You definitely need some controllers to control the lights.

You need software to program the lights.

You need lights, if you don't have enough ( and you never have enough!)

Wireless is optional.  It's a nice to have, but not absolutely required, unless, of course, you're going to want to control some lights on the other side of the street or some other place that you can't run a wire to...
Mark
Kernersville, NC
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login