Hardware > Lynx Smart String

What is a Lynx Smart String?

<< < (86/86)

caretaker:
Yes RJ, thanks for all the hard work you do to help us less qualified in electronic design have awesome blinky shows.   <res.

Steve Gase:

Reviewing this thread and either I am not understanding, or there were some slips with the numbers being used.

First...

You are not allowed to view links. Register or LoginSo in other words you can have channel 3684 of PixelNet be your DMX Start and it would be DMX channel #1 on your expresses for example.

--- End quote ---

I think that is wrong.  As I interpret the behavior, using a jumper, the DMX address range can be mapped to the larger Pixelnet range.  There are 4096 channels in pixelnet, and 512 channels in DMX.  By using a jumper you can select which of the 512 blocks of pixelnet channels will ALSO be replicated to the DMX output connector.

So...  the DMX channels should be on even 512 boundaries.

Jumper 1:  1-512
Jumper 2: 513-1024
Jumper 3: 1025-1536
Jumper 4: 1537-2048
Jumper 5: 2049-2560
Jumper 6: 2561-3072
Jumper 7: 3073-3584
Jumper 8: 3585-4096

So, when RJ says channel pixelnet channel 3684 can be made to be DMX channel #1... I think it should have been 3585 can be made DMX channel #1 using Jumper #8.  Right?  I think there were 2 mistakes, a mistype in the hundreds place, and also not starting the new range with an offset of 1.

The same problem seems to be made in another response:
You are not allowed to view links. Register or LoginBut if you say needed one universe of (DMX 512 ch) and only 3684 ch of pixels or less

--- End quote ---

One final item on semantics...
You are not allowed to view links. Register or LoginPixelNet is the protocol for the SmartStrings. DMX is still DMX. So you can use one dongle to control 512 ch of DMX things, and at the same time run a PixelNet dongle to run 4096 ch of Pixels.

But if you say needed one universe of (DMX 512 ch) and only 3684 ch of pixels or less, Then you can run one pixelnet dongle and on the hub is an DMX out port. It will steal 512 channels of your pixelnet data and make DMX data out of them.

--- End quote ---

"Steal" does not sound right, based on my understanding.  To steal something means to take it away so that it can't be used for another purpose.  Let's say that I want to light a 9-channel DMX star at the top of my smart pixel megatree...  I do not want to waste 512 channels for only one star.  And I don't want to put in service another dongle and run another cable.  Instead, I'd like to reserve the first 99 channels for DMX on the hub for the star and other things, and use the remaining 502 channels in that DMX range as Pixelnet channels.

Just trying to clarify this for others, and have people correct me if I'm wrong.  "Steal" should be changed to "mirrored" because (in my example) the Pixelnet channels 1-512 still exist and can be used for pixelnet -- I just choose not to use the first 1-99 and start my pixelnet channel usage at 100.  I have that first 512 also mirrored to the DMX connector, and I choose not to map and DMX elements outside of the 1-99 range.

Thanks everyone for reviewing (and correcting) my comments!
Steve

chrisatpsu:
the point about "stealing" to show that the DMX channels came from the pixelnet channel range, instead of also being a seperate dmx source independent of the pixelnet.

and yes, the dmx address would have been a typo.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version