Author Topic: where to put hubs  (Read 2845 times)

Offline sirloinofbeef001

• Reach for the stars
where to put hubs
« on: September 10, 2013, »
I'm posting this question to see where ppl put there active hubs at.. Do you put them outside in a waterproof box or in your garage or where ever. Just seeing where you put it....
Its the most wonderful time of the year.

Offline mms

• Like us on Facebook for special content and year-round updates.
Re: where to put hubs
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2013, »
The show computer and Etherdongle are in the garage.  Active Hub in boat battery box and wrapped in trash bag placed "centrally" in flower bed.
Like us on Facebook for special content and year-round updates: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Voice-over Inquiries:  You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline jnealand

• Patron Member
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2013, »
My active hub is on my front porch where I can easily run cat 5 to all my windows and eaves.  the passive hub is the yard next to the pole for my pixel tree.  Both are in marine battery boxes with the associated power supply.
Jim Nealand
Kennesaw, GA

Offline sirloinofbeef001

• Reach for the stars
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2013, »
So marine battery boxes is the preferred box.. That was my next question. Thanks guys
Its the most wonderful time of the year.

Offline travailen

« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2013, »

I ran 2 of these last year as a test. This year I will have 10 placed in various locations in my yard. Zero moisture problems.

Rick S

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline peteandvanessa

« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2013, »
My Etherdongle, 2 x Hubs and the conductor are all in a PC chassis in my garage

Offline drlucas

« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2013, »
Great design, and nice way of doing the pin headers on the SSCs. I like that. looks a lot safer than how i've tried to solder on the ethernet pigtails.

For me...this is my first year, but keeping the etherdongle and FM transmitter inside, and then having 3 marine cases outside....will need to figure out the best place to hide them.....that will come in the next couple of weeks. but +1 for marine cases outside for me. I will avoid sticking them in a garbage bag as I hear moisture build up could happen
« Last Edit: September 10, 2013, by drlucas »
-Ryan Lucas-
- Pickering, Ontario, Canada, Eh?! -

Offline tbone321

« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2013, »
The show computer and Etherdongle are in the garage.  Active Hub in boat battery box and wrapped in trash bag placed "centrally" in flower bed.

I would avoid using the plastic bag.  All that tnds to do is trap moisture which causes corrosion.
If at first you don't succeed,
your not cut out for sky diving

Offline mms

• Like us on Facebook for special content and year-round updates.
« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2013, »
We don't get enough snow/moisture/humidity for that to really be an issue... I can see that being more of an issue in other climates though.
Like us on Facebook for special content and year-round updates: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Voice-over Inquiries:  You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline taybrynn

• RockinChristmas
where to put hubs
« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2013, »
Mine just sit out in the yard.   Snow covers them at times, not a problem,     I use rebar to make them semi secured to the ground and to strain relief the cord going in and out.
Scott - Castle Rock, Colorado   [ 2 homes, 100% RGB in 2016; since 2008; over 32k channels of E1.31 ]

Offline Steve Gase

• WinterLightShow in Georgetown, TX
« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2013, »
I got a plastic truck storage/tool box from Home Depot.  I have power supplies (3 of them) on the bottom, a plastic shelf resting on the supplies, and then the boards resting on the shelf.  I cut an opening for the wires to enter/exit... but I added some wrapping to prevent water from getting in.  The box has a place for a padlock and I run a cable through the padlock and around a tree. 

The tool box sits behind and near the megatree.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2013, by Steve Gase »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login  |  110K channels, 50K lights  |  Nutcracker, Falcon, DLA, HolidayCoro

Offline jnealand

• Patron Member
« Reply #11 on: September 11, 2013, »
I ran 2 of these last year as a test. This year I will have 10 placed in various locations in my yard. Zero moisture problems.
Rick S

Rick do you have the link to the whole thread?   I'm looking for more details on the connectors and assume that the info may be in the thread.  Thanks
Jim Nealand
Kennesaw, GA

Offline Steve Gase

• WinterLightShow in Georgetown, TX
« Reply #12 on: September 11, 2013, »
Rick S

Rick do you have the link to the whole thread?   I'm looking for more details on the connectors and assume that the info may be in the thread.  Thanks
When I asked about his setup, I recall that the connectors used 8 pins and were well-suited to the SSCv1.  With the board changes in SSCv2 and SSCv4, you'd have a bigger problem using them as-is.
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login  |  110K channels, 50K lights  |  Nutcracker, Falcon, DLA, HolidayCoro

Offline jnealand

• Patron Member
« Reply #13 on: September 11, 2013, »
Good thing I have a lot of V1s.
Jim Nealand
Kennesaw, GA

Offline t.jo13

• Coop Manager
« Reply #14 on: September 11, 2013, »
My father in law has a bunch of military ammo boxes ( 3 sizes ). I used one for a fishfinder battery on a friends johnboat that took on water due to a bad plug. not one drop of water, so I am going to use a couple this year. It also has a ring built in that can be used to secure the box