Author Topic: What outside video projector?  (Read 2588 times)

Offline rdebolt

• Patron Member
    • Christmas in Boise
What outside video projector?
« on: July 26, 2013, »
 Is there a projector out there now that you can program for on/off and at least 2500 lumens AND HD? What is everyone using? For the location I want to put mine, turning it on and of every night is not feasible. I have done some searching, but have not been able to find a programmable one.

Offline MazdaFan

• Sardinia, Indiana
Re: What outside video projector?
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2013, »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
For the location I want to put mine, turning it on and of every night is not feasible.

Don't know if this will help, but perhaps you are looking at turning it off and on from the wrong end...
Plug your extension cord into something like this:

A little more extension cord, a 2 gang box, this switch and a cover HAS to be cheaper (if not as cool) than a programmable projector  ;)

Jamie
Jamie Tomlinson
Sardinia, Indiana
--
When you can keep your head when all others are losing theirs,
you clearly don't understand the problem!

Offline rdebolt

• Patron Member
    • Christmas in Boise
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2013, »
I could actually tie one to an Express, but most you have to use a remote or button push to start up after power return. I don't want to baby sit it. Would like to be able to program and leave alone. Thanks for the info!

Offline therealbigjim

« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2013, »
The problem with removing the power is the unit will need to be turned back on. Many newer electronic devices once power is removed the device needs to be turned back on once power is restored. Most projectors come with a remote so remove the power by unplugging the cord and use the remote to turn it back on once its plugged back in. Using the controller to control a device is not recommended or supported ( I believe). You may just find one that will go into a sleep mode once it looses the source signal. The unit stays on but the lamp powers down till the source signal is received. I have left power to my setup on for the last 5 years and have never had any issues, only turning  everthing off is a very heavy rain, or wind storm is expected.
"If you want more lights sell that old mustang"

Offline drlucas

« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2013, »
there is a thread about it on this forum..... sorry for the external link...hope it's allowed...

"You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login"
« Last Edit: July 27, 2013, by drlucas »
-Ryan Lucas-
- Pickering, Ontario, Canada, Eh?! -

Offline tbone321

« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2013, »
THat was an informative link.  External links are placed in posts quite often.  The type that is normally not allwed are links to comercial web sites and on-line stores because that is not what this forum is about and RJ doesn't want this site flooded with spam and sales adds.
If at first you don't succeed,
your not cut out for sky diving

Offline rdebolt

• Patron Member
    • Christmas in Boise
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2013, »
there is a thread about it on this forum..... sorry for the external link...hope it's allowed...

"You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login"

Thanks for the link. Good information, but I don't think I want to spend $30,000.00 for a projector!  <fp. I will look into some NECs and see what I can find. Thanks Again.

Roger

Offline rdebolt

• Patron Member
    • Christmas in Boise
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2013, »
How about some input on this. What do you guys think?

Offline tbone321

« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2013, »
As with most if not all indoor projectors, you really have to be aware and carefull about the operating enviornment.  This one claims to have a min operating temp of 40 degrees.  Even here is NC, that can sometimes be an issue.  I do like the auto-on feature which should take care of the power up issues mentioned.  While 3000 lumins is not bad, it may still wash out in a otherwise bright display so when used, I would either have it in a darker area or dim the display when it is doing its thing.

Offline rdebolt

• Patron Member
    • Christmas in Boise
« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2013, »
As with most if not all indoor projectors, you really have to be aware and carefull about the operating enviornment.  This one claims to have a min operating temp of 40 degrees.  Even here is NC, that can sometimes be an issue.  I do like the auto-on feature which should take care of the power up issues mentioned.  While 3000 lumins is not bad, it may still wash out in a otherwise bright display so when used, I would either have it in a darker area or dim the display when it is doing its thing.

Where it will be should be Ok as far as light and I plan on building an enclosure for it with a 100 watt light bulb for heat. My plan is for it and my screen to be on my roof.

Offline t.jo13

• Coop Manager
« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2013, »
 check out this site You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login they do a lot of reviews and give you alot of info. There are now led projectors out there and some even with dmx. If you go to ebay and type in used projectors you can find some really good deals . use the link above to check the actual performance specs in operation. For example it may list as a spec 3000 lumens, but actual operating lumens may be 2300.  other things you need to pay attention to are contrast ratio   and focus options.

Offline tbone321

« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2013, »
Another thing to check out if buying a used projector is determining the bulb type it is using, the price, and availability.  Many of the older high end projectors used very expensive bulbs and they are not always that easy to get.  In many cases, the reason that these older projectors are5 being sold is because the bulb is failing and the cost to replace it is prohibitive compared to the cost of a new projector with their added features and capabilites.   What may seem like a good deal can quickly change if you get it and find that you need to replace a $500 bulb that nobody seems to have.

Offline t.jo13

• Coop Manager
« Reply #12 on: July 29, 2013, »
I forgot about lens usage, Most top sellers will post the actual hours used as a screen shot