Author Topic: Is there any benefit to this?  (Read 2399 times)

Offline chrisatpsu

• ahhh, yes... my new blink-i-nator 3000!!!
Is there any benefit to this?
« on: September 12, 2012, »
I have a few high power power supplies that are out of warranty. (single rail supplies)
they have the ATX 12V 24 pin connector.
they have 3 molex drive power connectors to pit onto the 16port active hub.

My question is, is there any advantage or drawback to using the 12V wires (yellow) from the connetors that run to either the 4 pin connector that runs to the mother boad near the CPU, or the 6 pin graphics card power connectors?

if they were run to the hub, would i need the 12v option, since the 24pin connector would power the 5V, and 3V?
To rule the entire tri-state area!  What's that? Perry the Platypus!!!

Offline tbone321

Re: Is there any benefit to this?
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2012, »
I don't think that the question is very clear.  Do you mean to just use the 12V wires?  And where are you going to connect them?  Remember that a singe rail supply is giving the 12V from the same source, regardless of which 12V wires that you use.  I guess that I don't understand why you wouldn't use the 24 pin connector as well.
If at first you don't succeed,
your not cut out for sky diving

Offline rm357

« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2012, »
I really don't understand the question either. The hub needs the 5v and 3.3v from the 24 pin connector to run the '485 chips and PIC, respectively.

Are you talking about using just the 12v wires from the processor or graphics card connectors to run a second hub? You could do this if the second hub has the 12 volt optional components, which are basically 5v and 3.3v regulators and a number of capacitors. If using the passive hub or if you don't need the DMX out, you could probably use one of the 4 pin drive cables to provide the 5v for the '485 chips, if you have more than the three needed for the first hub.

The big concern is making sure you don't overload anything.
If memory serves correctly, each pin in the 24 pin connector is rated for 6A and the 4 pin connectors are rated for 10a. You really need all connectors plugged in on the first hub if you have a lot of strings attached.
If you are Chopping off the processor or video connectors, each wire should be good for at least 10A, just be sure you have at least as many blacks as yellows.

A fully loaded hub can pull a lot of amps... If memory serves, A fully loaded universe with no duplicate addresses is about 42 amps, which is what the hub is rated to supply (2 pins x 6A on the 24 pin connector + 3 pins x 10A on the three 4-pin connectors).

RM
Robert
Warner Robins, Georgia, USA

Offline chrisatpsu

« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2012, »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
My question is, is there any advantage or drawback to using the 12V wires (yellow) from the connetors that run to either the 4 pin connector that runs to the mother boad near the CPU, or the 6 pin graphics card power connectors?
would i need the 12v option, since the 24pin connector would power the 5V, and 3V?

Active hub connected via 24pin connector + 3 molex connectors + extra 12v connections connected to the screw terminal connector

Offline rrowan

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2012, »
would i need the 12v option, since the 24pin connector would power the 5V, and 3V?

Active hub connected via 24pin connector + 3 molex connectors + extra 12v connections connected to the screw terminal connector

If I remember correctly.

You can't use both the PC power supply connectors and the optional 12v connector (plus parts). They were not met to be used at the same time. It will cause an explosion of epic proportions  <md..  (just kidding, but it could/will mess up your pcb or ps)

There is one foot note: You can use the 12v connect as 12 v output to say power a 4 port hub (of course watch the current draw).

Official Rrowan Disclaimer
The above message is from a crazy person who is heavily medicated. Take Rick's advice with a grain of salt.  ::)

Rick R.
Light Animation Hobby - Having fun and Learning at the same time. (21st member of DLA)
Warning SOME assembly required

Offline chrisatpsu

« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2012, »
i thought the issue with using both connectors at the same time would be when people were talking about trying to use more than one power supply.

my rational was if i had just the connector of the 12v option installed, and only using the one power supply, I could supply more paths of the 12v wires from the PSU to the hub.
the connector, i think, is directly connected to the 12v from the 24 pin connector (and the 3 molex connectors), so it would basically just connect all the 12v wires of the psu together.

Offline tbone321

« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2012, »
Now that I understand your question, sure, you can connect them to the 12V in connectors since they are prt of the 12V buss but I don't think that they are going to help you with anything.  The number of wires already connected to the 12V input should easily handle the current requirements of the hub.

Offline rm357

« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2012, »
If you start doubling up nodes, you could use the extra juice...

If each ssc has a full 128 node string, there will be some 600+ nodes with duplicate addresses and you will need about 64 amps to power it all. I don't know if the board can handle that much, but at least the connectors won't burn and melt...
Robert
Warner Robins, Georgia, USA

Offline chrisatpsu

« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2012, »
i was thinking that, as well, still have extra power if i needed to "output" power to a passive hub as well.

Offline tbone321

« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2012, »
You could just use one of those extra 12V power outputs connected directly to the 4 port hub.  Also remember that if you connect those extra leads to the 12 input, it will not be available to use as an output for the 4 port hub.

Offline chrisatpsu

« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2012, »
Also remember that if you connect those extra leads to the 12 input, it will not be available to use as an output for the 4 port hub.
why not? the extra connected lines from the power supply would be directly attached to the 12v side of the active hub, not to mention attached to the spt cable attached on the same connectors to go to the 4 port hub.

Offline JonB256

• My website
« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2012, »
When you connect 2 different 12vdc power supplies to the same board, there can be problems if they are outputting different voltages or have different voltage regulation designs. Whichever one has the highest voltage will initially carry the load. As you turn on more lights and load the power supplies, they may react differently and could begin oscillating. If one voltage supply gets significantly lower than the other, it will actually become a load on the higher voltage side.

To your original question about "is there any benefit" I'd say "no benefit, and a potential risk."

Offline chrisatpsu

« Reply #12 on: September 14, 2012, »
the thread has been about using only one single rail power supply.  just splicing the 12v (yellow wires) from the 4 pin and 6 pin CPU/Graphics card connectors that don't attach to the active hub board, but connecting them to the 12v option connector.

Offline JonB256

• My website
« Reply #13 on: September 14, 2012, »
If you're just bringing power over from the same supply, single rail, then I'll have to go with tbone321.

Why bother?

Now that I understand your question, sure, you can connect them to the 12V in connectors since they are prt of the 12V buss but I don't think that they are going to help you with anything.  The number of wires already connected to the 12V input should easily handle the current requirements of the hub.

Offline chrisatpsu

« Reply #14 on: September 14, 2012, »
If you're pushing more amps, you might exceed the limitations of the wires from the power supply to the white connectors on the hub.  (only 5 wires are carrying the 12volt power.)  by using the additional 4 and 6 pin connectors' wires, I've increased the load carrying capability to 10 wires carrying +12v.