Author Topic: Super Bowl XLV Halftime Show  (Read 5345 times)

Offline taybrynn

• RockinChristmas
Re: Super Bowl XLV Halftime Show
« Reply #15 on: February 07, 2011, »
I said the show was rather low on talent, but somewhat high on entertainment.  I couldn't believe they didn't have the mic levels under control ... and only the lead singer of the BEP could even be heard consistently.  And it seemed like they all had RGB clothing on, but only 1 of the 3 was working.  I liked the hearts formed by the dancing with red lights on the clothes.  It seemed like there were some malfunctions ,but not sure a typical viewer would have known.
Scott - Castle Rock, Colorado   [ 2 homes, 100% RGB in 2016; since 2008; over 32k channels of E1.31 ]
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline mokeefe

« Reply #16 on: February 07, 2011, »
Like most people posting here, the light effects caught my eye right away.  I'm pretty sure the dancers we controlling their lights manually with the small belt mounted control panel mentioned earlier. I think I enjoyed Fergie's look best, but maybe that wasn't so much to do with the effects.

You'd be surprised how many non-lighting enthusiasts noticed the technical snafu's. My wife and daughter both pointed out issues I didn't see right away.

The audio engineer for that half-time show should be hanging his head in shame. Not sure what he was listening to in the truck, but that was one of the worst mixes ever.  They would have been better served playing a track back and lip syncing (like they've done in previous years).  To their defense, though, they literally have minutes to roll on and assemble the stage, gear, and people.  I know it's designed to go together quickly and they do run throughs a head of time, but if something doesn't come together at show time there's no room for debugging.

Ah well, it's fun to be a Monday morning quarterback (pun intended).

-Mike

Offline urthegman

« Reply #17 on: February 07, 2011, »
This might be the company that did the clothing.

As someone who enjoys bicycling, I really like some of the products they make.

Offline taybrynn

• RockinChristmas
« Reply #18 on: February 07, 2011, »
This is an interesting article, related to exactly what were talking about.

Scott - Castle Rock, Colorado   [ 2 homes, 100% RGB in 2016; since 2008; over 32k channels of E1.31 ]

Offline mokeefe

« Reply #19 on: February 07, 2011, »
This is an interesting article, related to exactly what were talking about.

Nice find.  Wasn't clear to me from the article if they also did the LED's on all the dancers on the field.  I thought it was interesting that they considered wireless DMX but didn't want to deal with the RF spectrum coordination issues.

-Mike

Offline lightingnut

« Reply #20 on: February 07, 2011, »
If your interested in how they did the LED stuff check out the company that did it.

They could not use wirelss DMX due to all the other RF stuff being used at the game.
David

Offline crazybob

« Reply #21 on: February 07, 2011, »
Cool find. If anyone here does Halloween displays, you may be familiar with Skulltronix? The company linked here makes he "ventriloquist" DMX MP3 box for Skulltronix also!

Offline CB

« Reply #22 on: February 08, 2011, »
Am I the only one thinking about dressing my kids up in little LED efl costumes and having them play outside for part of the show.  If they start dance lessons now perhaps they can have some choreographed routines by then too.

However, I know my kids and people will start to wonder why the nice little elves are wrestling.

Corey

P.S.  Who saw the faces on our troops during the National Anthem?  They looked a little amazed that the the lyrics got missed.

Offline mokeefe

« Reply #23 on: February 08, 2011, »
Am I the only one thinking about dressing my kids up in little LED efl costumes and having them play outside for part of the show.  If they start dance lessons now perhaps they can have some choreographed routines by then too.

However, I know my kids and people will start to wonder why the nice little elves are wrestling.

Corey

And since you won't have the RF restrictions they had at the Super Bowl, you could control the lights on the kids wirelessly.  Integrate them into your animations and call it performance art.

-Mike

Offline remixsam

« Reply #24 on: February 08, 2011, »
maybe i'm the only one who actually liked the half-time show?!  I thought that it was very creative for what is typically un-creative (lets face it.. sports is snoozeville lol) Yeah I noticed the technical difficulties.. but really?  what can you expect?  after all it is LIVE! 

I love music! and i LOVE LIGHTS!  So, I was Happy!

Offline albaughed

« Reply #25 on: February 09, 2011, »
Yeah I noticed a lot of the mis-ques with the lights too, and I didn't say anything, and I was surprised that plenty of other (non-lighting) people caught them as well.  One thing I have learned when doing lighting is that it never goes as planned especially when you have only minutes to get everything set up.  To only have the 'v' out and dancers not switching their lights perfectly it went really well.  I was watching trying to think of all of the ways that I could to pull that kind of a show off and how much cable that they had to use and get plugged together correctly in a matter of minutes.  Crazy.

On a side note being a long time Packer fan from the pre-Favre era I was pretty pumped for the game and had small light show going at my house during the game and all through the night after the win!  Just 3 LED Par 64s Blinky Flashy Green and Gold!!

Go Pack Go

Offline CaptKirk

« Reply #26 on: February 09, 2011, »
maybe i'm the only one who actually liked the half-time show?!  I thought that it was very creative for what is typically un-creative (lets face it.. sports is snoozeville lol) Yeah I noticed the technical difficulties.. but really?  what can you expect?  after all it is LIVE! 

I love music! and i LOVE LIGHTS!  So, I was Happy!

<wd..
"Beam me up Scotty- there is no intelligent life on this planet."

Offline CB

« Reply #27 on: February 09, 2011, »
Aside from seeing Fergie butcher Sweet Child of Mine (although she was a much sexier Axel Rose) I did like the show.  Lights, music, Fergie (prefer mute and a wardeobe malfunction) but it was good.

Besides after the botched national anthem to start the game that show dug the entertainment out of the hole for me.

Offline ron d

« Reply #28 on: February 13, 2011, »
Fergie did butcher Sweet child o mine but it was cool to see slash during halftime.( slashes newest solo album has a song that he has fergie sings on and that song is great)

I have similar colorflex ropelight that is controllable and I use under/above my kitchen cabinits and have used RJS wireless to mess with people. It has a DMX controller and its also its power supply and I will eventually wire it with an output dimmer as well as a color dial dimmer switch. As a Steelers fan hats off to GB and it was a decent game in general.

Offline CB

« Reply #29 on: February 17, 2011, »
I agree it was a good game and that is ocming from a Bears fan.  Yeah that song on Slash's new album is good and I am sorry but Fergie sounded like a hot chick in a kareoke bar that evening.  Don't get me wrong I could have pushed mute and enjoyed it more but I didn't.

Aside from the mis cues I still think it was a cool show.