Author Topic: Enclosures  (Read 5604 times)

sjb

Enclosures
« on: February 13, 2012, »
Just wondering if anyone has used different types of enclosures and if so, what type?

Photo's would be appreciated.

Offline Slite

• Blinky Blinky Lights
Re: Enclosures
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2012, »
Enclosures for what?

Think people has used just about everything from waterproof marinebatteryboxes to old tupperware boxes :)
Blinky Blinky Lights!
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

sjb

« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2012, »
Right now I was looking at alternatives for the Express.

Offline Slite

• Blinky Blinky Lights
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2012, »
Looks like most people use the cg-1500 with the express:

Blinky Blinky Lights!

Offline bendala

« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2012, »
The express fits nicely in a Orbit sprinkler timer box available at Lowes.

Large Interior Dimensions 9.25" high x 10.75" wide x 3.25" deep

We have been able to get them pretty cheap if you call around to stores and see what they have in stock and what they are getting rid of them for. They also come with GFI plugs already installed.
Andrew Bendall
Big Rapids, Michigan 49307
Can Program Pic's Upon Request

Offline taybrynn

• RockinChristmas
Enclosures
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2012, »
Those are $28 at my lowes .... I mail ordered the cg1500 for $13 shipped
Scott - Castle Rock, Colorado   [ 2 homes, 100% RGB in 2016; since 2008; over 32k channels of E1.31 ]

Offline chrisatpsu

• ahhh, yes... my new blink-i-nator 3000!!!
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2012, »
i believe the le was designed for the cg-1500 enclosure to give it a professional look. i have 6 built and are in them.

i use wooden landscaping stakes to hold them upright in the yard off the gorund
To rule the entire tri-state area!  What's that? Perry the Platypus!!!

Offline taybrynn

• RockinChristmas
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2012, »
I've found that drilling a fairly small hole in the back mounts ... parallel to the back of the case in the extenal stand-offs ... gives you a quick, cheap and reliable to run small gauge wire through the case and then attach to anything easily.  I attached three LE(s) to my spiral base (steel frame) using that method and it worked great.  My neighbor attached to megatree poles as well.  You can buy 400' of wire in the rebar section for like $5 and its great and throw-away when done.  It does get your hands dirty if you don't wear gloves.   Another person mentioned that using dollar store athletic tape is a great way to label stuff for cheap.
Scott - Castle Rock, Colorado   [ 2 homes, 100% RGB in 2016; since 2008; over 32k channels of E1.31 ]

Offline SteveMaris

« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2012, »
I cut slits in the back center stand offs, slipped auto hose clamps through and clamped them to pieces of PVC stuck in the ground. Worked great, easy on and off. I did use silicone around where the clamps enter and exit the box.

Offline jnealand

• Patron Member
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2012, »
I've found that drilling a fairly small hole in the back mounts ... parallel to the back of the case in the extenal stand-offs ... gives you a quick, cheap and reliable to run small gauge wire through the case and then attach to anything easily.  I attached three LE(s) to my spiral base (steel frame) using that method and it worked great.  My neighbor attached to megatree poles as well.  You can buy 400' of wire in the rebar section for like $5 and its great and throw-away when done.  It does get your hands dirty if you don't wear gloves.   Another person mentioned that using dollar store athletic tape is a great way to label stuff for cheap.

Instead of wire, try buying a tomato cage and cutting it apart into pieces long enough to go across the back of the case.  I bend the ends in a L so it does not slip out and bend it out a little bit in the center and hook it on the top hook of a short steel fence post that I get at Home Depot.  I used to use the wire that rusted and this galvanized stuff will not rust.  Does not get your hands dirty either.  One tomato cage will do a host of LEs.  I have 14 and still have wire left over.
Jim Nealand
Kennesaw, GA

Offline btdb1969

« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2012, »
I used the Orbit sprinkler timer box, it was kinda expensive $28. I used round clear 1/2"OD PVC tube for mounting/standoffs and it worked great
Bill A.
Maysville, Ga

Offline meman

« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2012, »
I didn't want to put any holes in my cases, so I just used some industrial strength velcro from Harbor Freight. Legs peel right off for storage. On their second season and the velcro seems to be holding up well.

Mike E.

Offline craig d

« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2012, »
I cut slits in the back center stand offs, slipped auto hose clamps through and clamped them to pieces of PVC stuck in the ground. Worked great, easy on and off. I did use silicone around where the clamps enter and exit the box.

I did this too, then I pounded a piece of rebar into the ground and slipped the PVC over the rebar. That way I can pull the rebar out when the ground thaws out, but I can put the LE away when I want

Offline bendala

« Reply #13 on: February 14, 2012, »
At one point the Orbit enclosures were on sale at lowes for under $5 a piece that is why people started to use them it just depends on location and season. Northern Lowe's were selling them off as they are not on high demand during the winter seasons. This allowed buyers to has them drop shipped from the stores for a greatly reduced price. you just have to do some calling around.
Andrew Bendall
Big Rapids, Michigan 49307
Can Program Pic's Upon Request

Offline taybrynn

• RockinChristmas
« Reply #14 on: February 14, 2012, »
$5 would be a great deal !