Author Topic: Enclosures  (Read 5603 times)

Offline SteveMaris

Re: Enclosures
« Reply #15 on: February 14, 2012, »
I got 13 of them for about $3 each shipped.
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline taybrynn

• RockinChristmas
« Reply #16 on: February 14, 2012, »
That makes sense ... I was just wondering why anyone would get this non standard boxes at $28 each
Scott - Castle Rock, Colorado   [ 2 homes, 100% RGB in 2016; since 2008; over 32k channels of E1.31 ]

Offline SteveMaris

« Reply #17 on: February 14, 2012, »
That makes sense ... I was just wondering why anyone would get this non standard boxes at $28 each
If anyone is considering it, don't.
The LE fits inside, but it isn't easy.

Offline Halstaff

« Reply #18 on: February 14, 2012, »

I picked up some of those boxes but am waiting to get my first Express.  What did you have to do to modify the Orbit box to get the LE to fit?

Offline SteveMaris

« Reply #19 on: February 14, 2012, »

I picked up some of those boxes but am waiting to get my first Express.  What did you have to do to modify the Orbit box to get the LE to fit?
There is a "wall" inside the box that will need to be cut out. If you look at post 10 on this thread you can see what he did to make it fit. It will take a little bit of work, not a big deal..

Offline SteveMaris

« Reply #20 on: March 02, 2012, »
Since i cover my boxes outside, I decided to try something different with the Orbit box. Had a little oops with the dremel on the first cut, but otherwise it came out pretty good. Just thought I would share..

Offline trekster

• A Lynx Express Device........ Fascinating! ;
    • My 2010 Videos
« Reply #21 on: March 02, 2012, »
I can see one would save a bunch on cutting up extension cords by using wall outlets like that.  What are they about 50 cents and that does two channels?  I like that part of your box.

Ron
My 2010 Videos

Offline sebjsan

• Sebastian from California
« Reply #22 on: March 02, 2012, »
I agree with Ron, that is such a great Idea!
Sebastian from California

Offline SteveMaris

« Reply #23 on: March 02, 2012, »
I can see one would save a bunch on cutting up extension cords by using wall outlets like that.  What are they about 50 cents and that does two channels?  I like that part of your box.

Ron
.38 cents a piece at Lowes. Yes, 2 channels. little tab needs to be broken off is all.

Offline Jeffl

• Just remember. Wireless is nice. Copper is king!
    • Christmas In Brandon
« Reply #24 on: March 02, 2012, »
I don't think the amount of work is worth the savings.  When I first started, I bought some cases that were cheaper.  They looked good in the picture,but in the end were just a headache and I ended up replacing them for good quality cases.

My thought is, build what people would expect.  This way if you decide to sell them, they hold there value.

Offline SteveMaris

« Reply #25 on: March 03, 2012, »
I don't think the amount of work is worth the savings.  When I first started, I bought some cases that were cheaper.  They looked good in the picture,but in the end were just a headache and I ended up replacing them for good quality cases.

My thought is, build what people would expect.  This way if you decide to sell them, they hold there value.
I agree with you on the amount of work part. It was a pain.
 A bunch of cords would be much easier. I don't care about resale because I am not selling.
 I would like to build a box that contains 4 le's with outlets, just haven't figured out how to go about doing it.

Offline NavyGator

• Coop Manager
« Reply #26 on: March 03, 2012, »

I agree with you on the amount of work part. It was a pain.
 A bunch of cords would be much easier. I don't care about resale because I am not selling.
 I would like to build a box that contains 4 le's with outlets, just haven't figured out how to go about doing it.

If you really wanted to get crazy you can get some standoffs for the boards and mount an express PCB on top of another. Maybe modify the heat sink to be able to mount the two closer together and use a small fan (if necessary). If you could find a box that would work you could probably get 4 in using this idea and even put your outlets in like on the orbit box. Just a thought.

Rich

Offline twooly

• Blah
    • Todd Woolums
Enclosures
« Reply #27 on: March 03, 2012, »
Here is how I'm using one of the orbit boxes from lowes.  Just need to get an end for the power supply to plug it in the outlet in the box.

Offline SteveMaris

« Reply #28 on: March 03, 2012, »
Here is how I'm using one of the orbit boxes from lowes.  Just need to get an end for the power supply to plug it in the outlet in the box.
Nice!
I have 4 mr 16's coming that will be going in the orbits.

Offline Jeffl

• Just remember. Wireless is nice. Copper is king!
    • Christmas In Brandon
« Reply #29 on: March 03, 2012, »
Here is an enclosure that I plan to mount 4 LE's in.  I have had these since 2007 (notice my baby at the time inside) and have worked well.  My thought is I'm going to mount the raw LE board on a large piece of plexiglass, then mount the plexiglass to the wood.  I'm not sure yet exactly as I have CG-1500 cases but they are too large to mount in these cases.

The nice thing is these are the color of the house so they blend in.  I have two and in the past have had 3 LOR in one and 4 in the other.