Author Topic: DMX com standards  (Read 835 times)

Offline softshelpro

DMX com standards
« on: December 14, 2009, »
I'm cheep!!!!!!   

I have a FTDI USB to rs232 converter and a rs232 to rs485 converter. If I connect these would it work just the same as the Lynx Dongle?

I would test this but I do not have any Lynx items (yet!!) to test with.

What do the rest of you think?
There are two types of people in this world, those who are Dorks and those who are in denial.

Offline cmorda

Re: DMX com standards
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2009, »
No. DMX is a different animal than serial RS-232.

I'm cheap too. Even though the dongle has some expensive components it is much cheaper than the alternative: Enttec DMX pro at $155

There are some other options for DMX that have the computer generating the DMX stream but one little blip in windows and the stream becomes corrupt. The Lynx dongle does the work of generating the DMX stream (512 channels @ 255 levels of intensity each 40 times per second. Regardless of how many channels you are using all 512 get sent every 25ms) and the computer only has to tell it what changes.

Chris
Ventura, CA

Offline softshelpro

« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2009, »
Yes I understand that it's not rs232 I was asking if its rs485. In any case I see that there is more to it then just talking to it. If I was sending the commands direct to it throw rs485 I would have to maintain the full aspect of keeping the show running. I did not know that the Dongle did this. I figured the Application (Vixin) did this. So the Dongle is way smarter then I first thought.

I love these products!!! So well thought out!!

Jay
There are two types of people in this world, those who are Dorks and those who are in denial.

Offline tbone321

« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2009, »
You might be able to get it to work if you are using Vixen and enable the DMX and serial addins but in my opinion it really isn't worth the trouble.  RJ's DMX dongle is not expensive at all and using it along with other Lynx components gives you both a system of compatable components and the help of so many in this forum when something doesn't work correctly.  Going the route of joining those two converters would for the most part put you on your own when something fails because it would be damn near impossible for most to debug a problem as there would be way to many unknown components in the system.  
If at first you don't succeed,
your not cut out for sky diving