Author Topic: Turning multi color LED strands into solid strands  (Read 1415 times)

Offline rimist

I know this has come up before, but I don't know how to test the individual lights for the voltage to make sure I don't fry a strand

-Rimist (via Tapatalk)
- Rimist

Offline chrisatpsu

• ahhh, yes... my new blink-i-nator 3000!!!
Re: Turning multi color LED strands into solid strands
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2012, »
the biggest problem i came across when i tried was that they didn't provide an equal amount of the different colors to easily make each strand a different color.
and the first led, and the last led of the strings i had were a special socket, but all the special sockets were of a color.

for example, i had a strand of 150cnt leds from walmart that are c6.  the "start" led were red, and the "end" were yellow on each section.

the string of leds have 5 sections of 30 leds. I'd rather get white, then paint them the color i wanted. that was dissapointing this year.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2012, by chrisatpsu »
To rule the entire tri-state area!  What's that? Perry the Platypus!!!

Offline tbone321

« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2012, »
Another problem is that different colors have different voltages.  That is one of the reasons that you will see different numbers of different colors.  To truly test the voltage you would need a variable voltage pwer supply and to really do it right it should also have current limiting capability but you can still do it without that capability. 
If at first you don't succeed,
your not cut out for sky diving

Offline SteveMaris

« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2012, »
Blues,Greens, would be fine as is.
 Red,yellow,orange would need an additional resistor added to keep them from burning too bright.
They will work as is, but the longevity will be affected.
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline fertsy

• Coop Manager
Turning multi color LED strands into solid strands
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2012, »
I know there is a lot of talk about not doing this. I did it two years ago before I read not to. I have never had a problem. I used 5 color 50 count strands and there were 10 of each color so 5 boxes made 1 strand of each color. I use them in coro mini trees. I run them at 30% intensity 99% of the time. 500 LEDs pointed at the same spot at 100% will cause the neighbors house to catch on fire, lol.

As far as the special sockets go I removed the led from the socket insert and reinstalled one of the correct color. Make sure to watch lead orientation as I think these are backwards sometimes. I would get the extra LEDs from the spares or a repair strand.

I have not fried anything...yet!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline MSL

• So many lights, so little time!
    • 26streetlights
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2012, »
Blues,Greens, would be fine as is.
 Red,yellow,orange would need an additional resistor added to keep them from burning too bright.
They will work as is, but the longevity will be affected.

Hi Steve,

Could you take the first (or last) LED in the string out and plug in a resistor instead? If so what size resistor would I use for red LED's?

I also have taken multicolor strings (5mm LED's) and made single color strings. I have been using some for two seasons, no problems yet.

MSL
Holiday Lights in Plantation, Florida

Over 20,000 LED and RGB lights. We currently are running 3020 channels (320 Lynx Express / 2700 RGB Zeus and Smart String channels / 3 Aethers II).

Our show can be seen on You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline chrisatpsu

• ahhh, yes... my new blink-i-nator 3000!!!
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2012, »
depending on the brand, i really think some comapnies (walmart)  just use white, then tint the led casing and plastic shields that way they dont have to redesign for white / color / multi strings, just make one.

but the more expensive ones i think are actual color leds.
To rule the entire tri-state area!  What's that? Perry the Platypus!!!

Offline rimist

depending on the brand, i really think some comapnies (walmart)  just use white, then tint the led casing and plastic shields that way they dont have to redesign for white / color / multi strings, just make one.

but the more expensive ones i think are actual color leds.
not sure if we got these from Wal-Mart, Lowe's, or Target on clearance. They are five colors that repeat constantly. I have ten sets of the lights.

-Rimist (via Tapatalk)
- Rimist