Author Topic: Differences between SSC v3 and v4  (Read 3199 times)

Offline Steve Gase

• WinterLightShow in Georgetown, TX
Differences between SSC v3 and v4
« on: July 21, 2013, »
Can someone summarize the differences between v3 and v4?
I have a bunch of v4 coming out of the coop, and I also have a lot of v1 and v2... some already upgraded to v3.
I see that v4 are using a new PIC, they use a different firmware image too...  what else is different? 
why would I want to use a v4 over a v3?
thx
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login  |  110K channels, 50K lights  |  Nutcracker, Falcon, DLA, HolidayCoro

Offline jnealand

• Patron Member
Re: Differences between SSC v3 and v4
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2013, »
cheaper for one, smaller for another, longer lead to the first node for a third.
Jim Nealand
Kennesaw, GA

Offline keitha43

« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2013, »
I think max distance to first node on v3 mod was 6 feet. On v4 they were getting 12 feet during their beta testing I seem to remember.

Offline isellgum

« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2013, »
I had this same conversation with someone the other day.  Here is the response I was sent.

Last year I went 60 feet from the active hub to the SSCs on my roof. Just need to make sure that you use stranded cat5 cable. The V4 has a mosfet that does increase the distance and for me was much smoother fades.

Offline keitha43

« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2013, »
The difference we are talking about is between the first node and the ssc. The distance between the hub and ssc can be 100 feet. Maybe more with all versions of the ssc.

Offline drlucas

« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2013, »
Perhaps I should start a new post for this question, or perhaps we can make it into a poll? What is the distance between your hub and ssc?

A: 0 - 10'
B: 10' - 50'
C: 50'-100'
D: 100'-150'
E: Greater than 150'

I always thought Ethernet distances with cat5 was good for 100 meters (300ish feet) before you needed to introduce a repeater of some sort. I haven't figured out yet where my hubs are going to be placed, but I know for a fact my first run from the show PC out to my first active hub is going to be in the 50-75' range given.

Looking forward to doing some experimentation. At one point in time I was considering doing all home runs between the SSCs and the hub just so I didn't need to put the hub outside but then I figured I'd need about a 6" conduit punched in the foundation and that wouldn't be a good thing.
-Ryan Lucas-
- Pickering, Ontario, Canada, Eh?! -

Offline combustionmark

« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2013, »
A

I like keeping things short. I do have some longer, and thinking it will be nice when wireless pixelnet shows up.
Have Fun!

Offline keitha43

« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2013, »
"B" RJ did a walkthrough of his show in 2010 and toward the end shows he had a strand with 100 feet between hub and ssc here-
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login also it is mentioned in this document "Smart String Node Documentation" in the WIKI located here-
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
« Last Edit: July 22, 2013, by keitha43 »

Offline zwiller

« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2013, »
I agree with Jim's comments.  I happen to use the first v3 mod and they perform great for me.  Side by side v3.1 and v4 appear identical to me but I seem to recall the fades with the current firmware for v3 were less smooth so reverted back. 

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login  V3.1 top and right, v4 bottom and left.  Why this way?  Too many nodes for a single SSC.  I am not replacing any of my existing SSCs with v4...

My largest distance from hub to SSC is 60' and I have no issues.
Sam, who is happy he flashed his etherdongle with newest firmware!

"Now, I had heard that word at least ten times a day from my old man. He worked in profanity the way other artists might work in oils or clay. It was his true medium; a master."

Offline zwiller

« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2013, »
Just thought of something relevant (coffee kicking in).  v4 supports 2811 chip nodes...  v3 "maybe works".  From the man himself:  You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Sam, who is happy he flashed his etherdongle with newest firmware!

"Now, I had heard that word at least ten times a day from my old man. He worked in profanity the way other artists might work in oils or clay. It was his true medium; a master."

Offline rdebolt

• Patron Member
    • Christmas in Boise
« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2013, »
Can someone summarize the differences between v3 and v4?
I have a bunch of v4 coming out of the coop, and I also have a lot of v1 and v2... some already upgraded to v3.
I see that v4 are using a new PIC, they use a different firmware image too...  what else is different? 
why would I want to use a v4 over a v3?
thx

Smaller, Mosfet. Longer distance to first node (Support ws2811?) I don't have any ws2811 so cannot confirm that at this time.

Perhaps I should start a new post for this question, or perhaps we can make it into a poll? What is the distance between your hub and ssc?

A: 0 - 10'
B: 10' - 50'
C: 50'-100'
D: 100'-150'
E: Greater than 150'

I always thought Ethernet distances with cat5 was good for 100 meters (300ish feet) before you needed to introduce a repeater of some sort. I haven't figured out yet where my hubs are going to be placed, but I know for a fact my first run from the show PC out to my first active hub is going to be in the 50-75' range given.

A- I was able to get 10' with the V4 on some shorter flex strips, but had issues with a set of 104 regular nodes @ 8" spacing.

Don't confuse the distance from Etd to hub- no power is being carried, only data.

Offline tbone321

« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2013, »
Everybody is kinda saying the same thing but here is the actual history.  Version 1 is obviously the first version an while it worked well with some nodes, it had issues with others where Ray's controller had no issues.  The distance between the controller and the first node was fairly short.  If you have a version 1 and it works with the nodes that you have connected to it, I would leave it alone and go with it. 

Ver 2 was a redesigned SSC that was designed to correct the problem with the Ver 1 controller but the problem actually got worse.  This controller has issues with flickering as well as the issues that the Ver 1 controller would sometimes have.  If you have a ver 2 controller, I would consider performing the mods to turn it into a Ver 3 controller.

Ver 3 is really just a modified Ver 1 or Ver 2 controller.  With this mod, the issue that caused the problems with good nodes not working, flickering, and the required short distance between the controller and the first node are corrected.  The instructions and firmware for this mod can be found in the WIKI and when completed, you have a rock solid dependable controller. 

Ver 4 is the newest SSC.  It has been once again redesigned by RJ to make it smaller, less expensive, and rock solid.  With the controller being smaller and the ability to have a longer lead length between the SSC and the first node, it is much easier to hide the controller and it works pretty much flawlessly. 
If at first you don't succeed,
your not cut out for sky diving

Offline rm357

Differences between SSC v3 and v4
« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2013, »
For pixelnet cables that are data only, I would be willing to bet that you could go a full 1000 ft spool without much trouble. The problem is in the power transmission. If you want to put an SSC at the end of that cable with 100 nodes, you will most likely have issues unless you add something to inset new power at the SSC.
Robert
Warner Robins, Georgia, USA

Offline tbone321

« Reply #13 on: July 23, 2013, »
You would have other issues as well.  The rapid current changes from the LED's switching on and off would induce added noise on the data lines and the longer the line, the greater the noise level.  You will also see a voltage drop on the data lines as well.  Once the noise level begins to match or exceed the data level, the system stops working and that would probably happen WAY before the 1000 foot mark.
If at first you don't succeed,
your not cut out for sky diving

Offline combustionmark

« Reply #14 on: July 23, 2013, »
I am no expert on this, I thought the pixelnet was 4 paires of wire, how would the lights turning on and off. The power is not on the pixelnet, power is only after the hub, and on the 16 port hubs the signel is repeated. Then there is something about 485, it is diferential curent.
Have Fun!