Author Topic: Differences between SSC v3 and v4  (Read 3200 times)

Offline Steve Gase

• WinterLightShow in Georgetown, TX
Re: Differences between SSC v3 and v4
« Reply #15 on: July 23, 2013, »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I am no expert on this, I thought the pixelnet was 4 paires of wire, how would the lights turning on and off. The power is not on the pixelnet, power is only after the hub, and on the 16 port hubs the signel is repeated. Then there is something about 485, it is diferential curent.

The signal for one pixelnet universe is sent over one pair... pixelnet+ and pixelnet- (like the dmx signal).
The EtD generates 4 pixelnet universes and so it uses 4 pairs.   A (de)combiner or smart hub is able to break out the 4-pairs into individual universes.

Pixelnet can also be available over cat5 as "powered pixelnet".  Only one pair is used for signal, and the other 6 wires are used for power (12v+ and ground).  The before sending pixelnet over the 16 rj45 hacks, the smart hub pulls off one pair from the incoming 4 pairs and replaces the remaining 6 wires with power.

BTW: one reason why a longer distance can exist between hub and the SSCs is that the DMX signal is sent over a twisted pair.    the SSC sends out 2 wires with power and one wire with data -- no longer a twisted pair for the data -- and that limits its range.
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login  |  110K channels, 50K lights  |  Nutcracker, Falcon, DLA, HolidayCoro

Offline tbone321

Re: Differences between SSC v3 and v4
« Reply #16 on: July 23, 2013, »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I am no expert on this, I thought the pixelnet was 4 pairs of wire, how would the lights turning on and off. The power is not on the pixelnet, power is only after the hub, and on the 16 port hubs the signal is repeated. Then there is something about 485, it is diferential curent.

The ETD uses 4 pairs of wires to send its 4 PixelNet universes.  The hub only uses one and the other three pairs are carrying the voltage that the controller and nodes use and the SSC connects to a hub output.  I was referring to your statement that if you were to put the SSC at the end of that long length that your problem would have power issues.  I agree with that but also made the point that at a distance that great, you would also be dealing with signal degradation due to noise being induced on the signal lines due to the current carrying pairs over such a long length.
If at first you don't succeed,
your not cut out for sky diving