Author Topic: Smart String Warm Light Feature Request  (Read 3153 times)

Offline Mickpat

• Beta Tester
Smart String Warm Light Feature Request
« on: July 05, 2012, »
I am moving more of my lights to RGB this year, but don't like the white light they produce.    I still prefer the soft warm lights that incandescent lights provide.   This also makes it easier for me to mix and match lights.

I would like to be able to define white (255,255,255) to be more of a soft white.  My suggestion is to add this feature to the ssc smart string utility where you could define 255,255,255 to automatically convert to a soft white. (remap the color values.)  The conversion could be done on the hardware vs. on the software.     Maybe there is a better way. 

Offline hicksjo

Re: Smart String Warm Light Feature Request
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2012, »
This would definitely be convenient, but if done in the hardware, then Would the cool white no longer be achievable?  There are some case where that cool white is desired ... For example trying to match other white led strings

Just something to consider

Offline Steve Gase

• WinterLightShow in Georgetown, TX
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2012, »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
This would definitely be convenient, but if done in the hardware, then Would the cool white no longer be achievable?  There are some case where that cool white is desired ... For example trying to match other white led strings

Just something to consider
cool white could still be 254.254.254 with little notice.
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login  |  110K channels, 50K lights  |  Nutcracker, Falcon, DLA, HolidayCoro

Offline chrisatpsu

• ahhh, yes... my new blink-i-nator 3000!!!
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2012, »
why not just find the warm white that works for you and define it in software just like you would with any other color?
To rule the entire tri-state area!  What's that? Perry the Platypus!!!

Offline taybrynn

• RockinChristmas
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2012, »
Can you really make it look like warm white just by altering the RGB defaults for white?  If so, whats the mix you use?
Scott - Castle Rock, Colorado   [ 2 homes, 100% RGB in 2016; since 2008; over 32k channels of E1.31 ]

Offline JonB256

• My website
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2012, »
Cool white has too much blue. Just reduce the Blue a few steps and you'll see a difference.

But - don't expect it to match perfectly, just closer.

Offline tbone321

« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2012, »
I have to agree with Chris, making changes in the firmware for this is just asking for more confusion.  If the software can define it and it is a matter of personal preference, then that's where it should be defined. 
If at first you don't succeed,
your not cut out for sky diving

Offline dpitts

• Restrictive
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2012, »
I agree too. Keep it in software.

Offline taybrynn

• RockinChristmas
« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2012, »
Ditto on the sentiment of others to keep it in software.
Scott - Castle Rock, Colorado   [ 2 homes, 100% RGB in 2016; since 2008; over 32k channels of E1.31 ]

Offline jnealand

• Patron Member
« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2012, »
I agree too. Keep it in software.

+1
Jim Nealand
Kennesaw, GA

Offline Corey872

« Reply #10 on: July 05, 2012, »
I keep a list of colors/RGB values I've specifically matched, or just ones which looked 'cool' at the time.  If you don't already have the Color Finder software, it's definitely worth it.  Become proficient at tabbing through the colors and using the arrow keys so you can watch your lights and blend the color and you can come up with combos pretty quick.

Now the kicker is, in the software (at least LSP), these color combos don't look anything like what they are on the nodes...the warm whites look like dirty browns,  snow white looks more like an almond, etc.

60, 31, 07 - Warm white - very close to mineature lights
60, 26, 04 - yellow-orange candle flame

83, 29, 00 - Lemon yellow   

48, 04, 00 - Rich Halloween orange
135, 19, 00 - Pumpkin orange
255, 23, 00 - Bright Halloween orange

29, 00, 14 - Somewhat purple
05, 00, 02 - other purple
13, 00, 04 - 'ultra' violet

255, 208, 107 - Snow White

Offline Mickpat

• Beta Tester
« Reply #11 on: July 05, 2012, »
why not just find the warm white that works for you and define it in software just like you would with any other color?

I use LSP transitions which use video to define the colors used in the sequence.  Transitions dramatically decreases sequencing times and enabled more complex shows, but I have little control over the color applied.  For example, if the transtion applys a white color effect, once applied I have no way to redefine the color.  If I were manually adding effects to the grid, I agree it would be best in software. 

Thinking more about the hardware option, you want to support the dim level too so it is not as easy as just looking for 255,255,255.   

Offline hicksjo

« Reply #12 on: July 05, 2012, »
I was thinking about the complications with dimming while I was cleaning my pool ... Not sure what triggered the thought, but looks like you agree it would be complicated

Offline Corey872

« Reply #13 on: July 05, 2012, »
I use LSP transitions which use video to define the colors used in the sequence.  Transitions dramatically decreases sequencing times and enabled more complex shows, but I have little control over the color applied.  For example, if the transtion applys a white color effect, once applied I have no way to redefine the color.  If I were manually adding effects to the grid, I agree it would be best in software. 

Thinking more about the hardware option, you want to support the dim level too so it is not as easy as just looking for 255,255,255.   

I'm doing the same video/LSP transition.  I think this is one 'feature' LSP needs...the ability go grab a section of grid and alter the color...add 5 points of blue, subtract 10 of green, etc.  Conversely, with good video editing software, you can tweak the video as needed, then just reapply the LSP transition.

Offline Penfold

• Brownsville, TX
« Reply #14 on: July 09, 2012, »

60, 31, 07 - Warm white - very close to mineature lights
60, 26, 04 - yellow-orange candle flame

83, 29, 00 - Lemon yellow   

48, 04, 00 - Rich Halloween orange
135, 19, 00 - Pumpkin orange
255, 23, 00 - Bright Halloween orange

29, 00, 14 - Somewhat purple
05, 00, 02 - other purple
13, 00, 04 - 'ultra' violet

255, 208, 107 - Snow White

Are you sure you're not one of those guys that comes up with names for paint swatches in department stores?

:P   <yk..
« Last Edit: July 09, 2012, by Penfold »
♪Chicken go cluck, cluck
Cow go moo
Piggy go *snort* *snort*
how bout you?  ♪